Updating my spinning gear...

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
piwakawaka

Updating my spinning gear...

Post by piwakawaka » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:03 pm

hi

Looking to update my spinning gear. Thinking hard about a 7'8" Crucis 1-3 kg Rod and a Shimano Stradic ci4+ 2500 for braid use.
I want something I can flick out very light hard bodied lures and do the odd Tekapo canal duty if I'm down that way.
Have watched the "troutboynz" spinning video 300 times and want to give the Wairau a big nudge with the winter water flows.

Ross

J D

Re: Updating my spinning gear...

Post by J D » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:43 pm

I can't speak about the rod but I love my Stradics!!

"When My Ship Comes In, I'll Probably Be At The Airport"

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:08 am

+1 for what JD said. Stradic seems to be about the best bang for buck spinning reel out there. Iv got three in varying sizes for saltwater fishing.

To be honest iv even been thinking about pulling out the tiny 1000 size one and my Diawa team zero rod to hit up some trout as of late. Finness spin fishing, instead of fly?? Who would have thought?

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:32 am

Ross, can't go past the Ci4, excellent reels, love 'em. The 2500 is actually an in-between kinda size, not quite a 2500 but not quite a 1000, the larger spool means loops come off in larger diameter = less braid issues. My 2500's have done a serious amount of fresh and saltwater work, I prefer them over the Stella.

That will be a honey set, especially with the extra length of the rod, the rods in my clips are generally a 7' 3pc Daiwa Wilderness which is a great ultralight rod and very packable being 3 piece, the other is a Shimano telospin which is a very high quality teloscopic rod, when fly fishing, I can deploy it in seconds to have a go at a stubborn trout that won't take a fly... and they always nail it! The Wairau is an excellent spin fishing river throughout it's length, you will also get quite a few Salmon in that 3-4kg bracket as well.

Andrew

Salmo Brown Trout

Post by Salmo Brown Trout » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:26 am

Isn't this

"The New Zealand Fly Fishing Forum"

:roll:

A bad day's fishing beats a good day working.

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:03 am

I don't see the issue mixing it up with some advice for the off season when many rivers are often discoloured or weather patterns dictate spin fishing is more suited? Many fly fisherman also spin fish - me included, it's a great, fun, and incredibly effective method, especially using ultra-light gear, single hooks etc.

piwakawaka

Post by piwakawaka » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:14 pm

Thanks guys...

I appreciate the replys and personally subscribe to "flyfish's" view on spinfishing. However, obviously not everybody see's it the same.
Awesome videos flyfish.....spinning or flyfishing they are a great advertisement for New Zealand.

Regards
Ross

fowang

Post by fowang » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:17 pm

I use a Savagegear XLNT bushwacker great rod for the money!! ive got the 8" version.

Used it in South Carolina and coped well with large fish!

piwakawaka

Post by piwakawaka » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:06 pm

Please don't read if non fly fishing topics upsets you!

Finally updated a bit of spinning gear for the time when the rivers are up or I'm looking for a change of pace. Managed to import a "tricky" Shimano 7' 10" rod from Japan that is four piece and handles lure weights of 4-21 grams. Very nice, but I got thinking maybe it was a bit heavy. Handles Kahawai beautifully but you know how it is, there's always room for more rods.
Enter the Dragon. Actually a Polish rod from Team Dragon. 8' and called "Sensitive". Casts lures from 3-14 grams and what a honey. I was bitten by the softbait bug and all I can say is what a ball!
I have been into the searuns at the Wairau Diversion and this morning I went up river with my unscented softbaits. Jeez its good fun......jiggling those little 3 inch minnows through a deep pool and bang....its all go!

Should have been doing it years ago......anyone interested in a 590/4 SLT and its brother a 590/4 XP....old mans fishing rods.

Ross

TheBadger

Post by TheBadger » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:58 pm

Get in touch if you do ever sell the 590 XP, Ross.