Epic Carbon Fiber fly rods

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
Blowfly

Epic Carbon Fiber fly rods

Post by Blowfly » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:33 am

Hi!

Anyone with first-hand experience with the Epic 590 C or 690 C? Plenty of reviews on their own site, but not much to be found on other, more "objective" sites, so any experience is highly appreciated. Thanks!

Maniototoflyfisher

Re: Epic Carbon Fiber fly rods

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:14 am

Hi Blowfly - I purchased a Epic 590C when they had their 25% off sale in August. I'm very happy with it - replaced a Z axis. I've mainly used a DT5 line but on windy days I've occasionally put a WF7 on ( only other line I have) and it handles that fine. The DT5 is very quiet landing on the water and with a 15 - 18 foot leader handles the spooky fish if I do my part.
The rod is very well made - I particularly like the triangular reel seat. My only small grizzle it that it doesn't have a fly keeper - I didn't realise that when I ordered it. The rod tube is very user friendly also.

SuperJack.10

Post by SuperJack.10 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:30 pm

I have the 690c and love it. I bought the last of the first generation blanks for a very good price. So, unlike Maniototo’s rod, it’s certainly not very well made because I did it myself!! For me it replaced a Scott S4 six weight. I use the glass 580 for most of my fishing and use the 690c on slightly bigger water or windier days (although I’ve used the 580 in those conditions too without any real problem). In saying that, I’ve used the 690c on small streams where you might think it somewhat overpowered and it’s been great. I don’t have as much experience with some of the lightening fast six weight cannons around the place, but my impression is it probably has a bit more feel than some of those would, while still having plenty of power when you need it.

Is there any way to test cast them? Not sure what Epic can offer around that.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:46 pm

I've got both! Brilliant rods in my opinion. I bought the 5# as I wanted a good around rod with a bit of backbone. Most of my 5# are specific rods for situations.

I loved it so much and my existing 6# was getting long in the tooth that I bought one. No regrets. Love them both.

Bit of backbone but a tip that allows you to present delicately. The lightest rod iv ever held in my hand. Make sure you match it with a very light reel or else you will take away from the action of the rod.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Blowfly

Post by Blowfly » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:17 am

Thanks guys for all your inputs! It seems like the trip to NZ in January will break my budget now… :-)

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:55 pm

I had a try of the 590c that Jack Kos was trialing when they first came out, and whilst it's not a rod for me, I think it would be well suited to the small delicate stuff (i.e. NOT Wellington wind!!), had little "omph" and found it quite slow, but don't think it was designed as a fast stick in the first place. It was beautifully finished and top notch componentary.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:37 pm

Yea id say that if your used to the likes of a Scott Radian as you are Andrew it would definitely feel slower action than that. I'm used to quite slow rods so to me I find it quite fast / stiff with a bit of softness in the tip. But I suppose its all just personal preference and what one considers fast another considers slow?

I dont think they have invented a rod fast enough for Wellington wind Andrew? Maybe a solid shaft of titanium would do it? :lol: :lol:

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

TheBadger

Post by TheBadger » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:28 am

The 590 seems to stand up to the North Canterbury Nor'wester and the big browns just fine. I think it's a little misleading on first impression, as it has quite a moderate action (by modern standards anyway) but is extremely fast in terms of recovery. It has more backbone than you'd think I guess is what I'm saying.

The 590C and 690C are quite different rods, even for rods of different weights. The 690 is nice, but it's the 590 that seems to hit some perfect sweet spot. One thing I would say is you definitely don't want to overline it as it suits a true to weight line or something at the lighter end of the spectrum. Epic's own glassline, or something like a Rio LT, would be perfect.