Epic fly blanks

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
fraser hocks

Re: Epic fly blanks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:25 pm

Not China, Korea from what the blog says Danfly.

That's not a bad thing. In years past the early cheaper carbon bikes were being made in Korea. Now in the high end bike world they boast about it if their frames are made in Korea, as they are some of the best composite manufacturers in the world.

Still a real pity to see the manufacturing of the blanks going overseas. Up till then they were a completely NZ manufactured item.

If your ever in Wanaka, pop in and see the guys. There always happy to give a tour of the manufacturing side. You get to see what a completely hand build job it is. No machine wrapping or epoxying going on there. A real craft!!

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:18 pm

Hardy Reels are now made in Korea. Have been for some time. Still a very good high quality product.

Who cares where something is made. If it’s good and high quality it shouldn’t matter,

I am lead to believe it was CTS who left the relationship with Swift so they had to look elsewhere for their Epic Blanks. Seems like they have found a great alternative ...

SuperJack.10

Post by SuperJack.10 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:30 pm

I’m with Johnno and Fraser on this. Look forward to another blank from Epic when I have the time and money! Will wait until they bring out more colours than the olive and salsa they currently have as I have an 8 in the salsa and a 5 in the olive already. Wouldn’t mind a 4 in something similar to that nude colour they had previously.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:16 am

Yea iv pretty much set my mind to pick up a 13DH kit in the next couple of weeks, ready for the winter season. Its not like a need another DH rod, but do I want? YIP!!!

Got to get a home renovation job sorted first though. The living room is covered in rubble from the removal of an old fireplace. Going to have to get that job out of the way first hey?

marlsounds

Post by marlsounds » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:44 am

Digging this old thread back out and dusting it off.

The Douglas Sky-G has been getting stellar reviews. As far as I know, it's made by JS Company in South Korea. I'm guessing this is where Carl is sourcing his graphene blanks from also, given their relationship with JS Co on fiberglass. I wonder how different the taper designs are. If similar/same, this could mean we can locally source and build a Sky-G variant for mch cheaper than the finished rod sourced out of the US.

I'm interested to know if anyone has tried the new Epic graphene rods and compared them against the Douglas Sky-G ...

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:38 pm

Not yet, but might be having a play with one this weekend. I'd love to grab one, but I did cache a few new rods over winter, and iv hardly had chance to play with them yet, so not sure if I can justify yet another new rod.