Sylk Flyline

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
ziffle

Sylk Flyline

Post by ziffle » Thu May 18, 2017 1:28 pm

Has anyone tried the Cortland Sylk flyline, apparently designed for bamboo but I wonder how they are on carbon rods?

fraser hocks

Re: Sylk Flyline

Post by fraser hocks » Thu May 18, 2017 3:11 pm

Yep got one and love it, in a 4#. That being said I like slower rods and I pair it with a few fuller action rods, and tend to fish it on my bamboo these days. Will suit a carbon rod, but needs to have a full slower action IMO.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

ziffle

Post by ziffle » Thu May 18, 2017 3:21 pm

ah right Fraser, I was eyeing up the #4 myself to use on my ECHO Carbon which is med/fast so perhaps it wont work quite as well as the way you have it set up. I am assuming these lines are quite soft, the opposite say of a 444 SL or similar?

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu May 18, 2017 3:41 pm

I will say that iv got the double taper version and its also available as a weight forward. Id imagine that the weight forward would be a little more suited to a med fast rod.

Just had a read of this review https://www.outsideonline.com/1923096/e ... our-weight of your rod and it does sound like its more like the CD ICT 3# i sometimes run the line on? Might be worth a try? See if you can find any specs on grain envelope and then look at what the sylk is rated as. That should give you an idea if the line will be too light or just enough to load the rod?

I see Echo recommend the Airflo super-dri elite with that rod? Might be a better option if you want to be sure?

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Dave

Post by Dave » Thu May 18, 2017 4:05 pm

I have one but I haven't used it for years. It is #7 WF and I have been fishing lighter than that for quite a while. It is soft and has a long front taper and I really liked it. I used it on Kilwell presentation rod.
Dave

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Thu May 18, 2017 6:45 pm

I've got a couple and fish them on 'boo and glass. Absolutely fine for them. I haven't used one on carbon rods of any description but know a couple of blokes who have and they didn't like them.

Blackhackle

Post by Blackhackle » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:27 pm

The sylk line is designed for bamboo and fiberglass rods I believe. I fish almost exclusively fiberglass and use the DT sylk in 3,4 and 5 wt. They work really well. The only problem I have had on some of them is the finish cracking just in one spot on a couple of the lines. If presentation is the goal the Cortland sylk and 444 peach; also a relatively new company:406 are all good, at least with fiberglass.