Pflueger Medalist Reel

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
peelproductions

Pflueger Medalist Reel

Post by peelproductions » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:41 pm

Anyone own one of these reels?
The new ones dont seem to be available in NZ, but there's a lot of love for them in the states, especially in he glass and bamboo market.
Super cheap on ebay, and many of them for sale.
Have a glass epic and thinking about matching one of these reels with it.
If you have one, can they be palm spooled? or are they like harry's and need to be finger spooled when playing fish.
Johng

Blackhackle

Re: Pflueger Medalist Reel

Post by Blackhackle » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:37 pm

I have five of the #1494s built in the 50s and 60s, handles DT4 to DT6 lines. Rugged and reliable, pretty much indestructible if a little heavy compared to new reels. Have used them on Epic 580 and 476, along with a range of other 4 to 6 wt. fiberglass rods. The rim on these reels is not exposed, so you can not palm it but finger spooling works. If you google Pflueger Medalist Reels- A History you can print out a history of the Medalist from the 1930s to 1980s. Can give you a good idea of what you may be buying on ebay. The ones marked CJ(Japan) and AK(Hong Kong) beginning in the late 70s are of lesser quality. Stick with the ones made before that time. Have bought 4 on ebay and have had good luck with them, stick to the ones that have good photos and have no missing screws, bent handles, etc. The other I bought in the mid 60s, my first reel, and has been in continuous service to the present. I tend to keep the drag set on the light side and finger spool if I have to.

lawrenceb

Post by lawrenceb » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:30 am

Anyone own one of these reels?
FYI, there's one I'm interested in, on TradeMe right now. But it's being sold as a package with a vintage Wanigas Art Neumann fiberglass rod -- out of my price range! Anyone seen this reel elsewhere, and cheap?

Blackhackle

Post by Blackhackle » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:23 pm

Did you ever find a Medalist 1494? Just bought one last month on eBay for $23US and shipping was an additional $20US. If you want one that is fishable although aesthetically not the best they can be had for $20-$50US. If you want one that is pretty much "new" or very good condition think in the $50-75US range. Mint reels will bring $100US+. See my post above.

Blackhackle

Post by Blackhackle » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:52 pm

If anyone is still looking for these reels, there are still lots of them for sale on eBay. The prices have been going up though. And more of the Hong Kong and Japanese ones are on the site. Just picked one up for $17US and $20US shipping. Once I cleaned all the dirt and dust off of probably 40 years lying somewhere and removed the fly line that had apparently been on the reel for the same time, found it in very good condition other than a previous owner filed down the reel foot so the reel would fit his rod. See my post above to see what to look for.