Fly Casting shootout results 2012

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
Chris Dore

Re: Fly Casting shootout results 2012

Post by Chris Dore » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:53 pm

Oh I fully understand it. However, as Dan stated, I'm more interested in reviews from people who know how to drive a rod well: they're the ones who I know are loading it correctly and getting the most out of it, not just waving it back in forth and saying how wonderful it feels.

Doesnt mean they aren't assessing it inside of 40' too...

Ps, some thoughts about distance ability on your short game http://thelimpcobra.com/2012/05/09/dist ... hmistance/

Salmo Brown Trout wrote:Chris and Waitakidan
Casting more than 40 feet is over rated, as most fish caught within the 10 metre range.
A fact, Chris you should know, as a lot of your client would struggle to make that distance.
"It's not the size of the rod or length of the cast that matters, it's how you perform with it"

Chris Dore
Queenstown
www.chrisdore.com

Chris Dore

Post by Chris Dore » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:55 pm

I have never over / underlined a rod Dave. I simply adjust my stroke according to the flex in the rod.

Dave wrote:If you can only cast short distances then you need a different rod to what Dan and Chris want. What suits them is probably no use to some others. If competent casters need to over line (or use Rio Grand, SA GPX etc) then a beginner will have no show for short casting distances.
Dave

Chris Dore
Queenstown
www.chrisdore.com

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:04 pm

Chris.
You may not overline your rods but most of the comparison tests seem to use lines like the Scientific Anglers GPX which is over weight.
I saw the disadvantage of a fast rod when fishing in small streams last November. My fishing buddy was from South America and normally fished with big streamers for things other than trout. He had a Sage TCX and did very well with it but had to double haul on all casts. A lot of effort to get his rod to load on short casts.
Dave

Chris Dore

Post by Chris Dore » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:48 pm

Yes, the tcx was never designed as a small stream rod.
Dave wrote:Chris.
You may not overline your rods but most of the comparison tests seem to use lines like the Scientific Anglers GPX which is over weight.
I saw the disadvantage of a fast rod when fishing in small streams last November. My fishing buddy was from South America and normally fished with big streamers for things other than trout. He had a Sage TCX and did very well with it but had to double haul on all casts. A lot of effort to get his rod to load on short casts.
Dave

Chris Dore
Queenstown
www.chrisdore.com

waitakidan

Post by waitakidan » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:50 pm

Exactly Chris. I have never said never overline a rod. Sometimes rods may need overlined. Usually because they have bought a rod that doesn't suit their style and/or situation. Much like your friend trying to fish small streams with a Sage TCX.........