PLB

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
Wacker

PLB

Post by Wacker » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:48 am

Just thought I'd post this for any of you out there sitting on the fence about buying a beacon. I have just got the KTi one off skippersmate, arrived today, and from external appearance it seems spot on. As well as the reviews I found, price played a big roll in the choice as any beacon bought in NZ seems to come with a serious price increase. This one in NZ coded and also has a battery life of 10 years (although mine says the battery is good until Feb 2028). This makes the cost $30 a year.
Put off buying a beacon before but now there are kids in the house, solo trips are much more likely and there is the feeling of needing to be a bit more responsible (heaven forbid). Sure you can rent one for big trips but I figure a fall is just as likely on a local evening jaunt and if I'm due back after anyone has gone to bed then a rather nasty night out in my bothy bag (or worse) could be avoided.
Cant eliminate risk and don't want to take on too much just because you have a beacon but enough horror stories out there and I would say most rivers could be classed as remote wherever they are without a guarantee of someone stumbling across you, especially if they see a car at the access point.
I pretty much always sling my bothy bag in with me and also a little brew kit so feel I'm set up for most eventualities without carrying a 20kg pack everywhere!

canuck

Re: PLB

Post by canuck » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:59 pm

I bought one a few years back after taking a hard fall and realizing that if I hadn't been able to walk out that the earliest that someone would have found me was well into the next day.

I had told someone where I was going and when I would be back and had a bit of extra kit but the reality would have been a really cold uncomfortable night out. Then the rescue aspect kicks in, 50 km from town and 4 km down a relatively unknown trail with no potential for a helicopter to land or most likely see me due to the heavy bush.

So now a push of a button and they know that I need help, no waiting until your return time before something is initiated, they know where you are, so no looking for your vehicle and searching endless amounts of area looking for you.

Seems like a great investment to me.

Canuck

Whio

Re: PLB

Post by Whio » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:42 pm

For all of the reasons cited above, it's a no brainer :!:

Some of my life I spend fly fishing, the rest I just waste!