Sage Method - 5 or 6 weight ?

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
Johnno

Re: Sage Method - 5 or 6 weight ?

Post by Johnno » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:25 pm

if you can find a 5 wgt 99 check that out. Casts a .... 5 wgt line .... Perfectly. And the 6 wgt version casts a .... 6 wgt line.... Perfectly. IMHO the 99 is one of the better recent Sage efforts. The 5 wgt is a lovely rod and I really enjoy using it here in the upper South.

silva_fox

Post by silva_fox » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:16 pm

Appreciate all the constructive feedback.

S.F.

tastrout

Post by tastrout » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:52 pm

Sage One 590 is a great rod, but another rod worth considering is the Orvis Helios 2. Not sure if they are available in NZ but they are excellent rods. I have both and they both excellent #5 rods. If you can get hold of a Helios 2 it would be definitely worth a cast.

Simon

TheBadger

Post by TheBadger » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:29 am

Have a look at the CTS Affinity Mx #5. Whilst it's not extremely fast, like the Method, it is extremely versatile. From what you've described I think something like this, that fulfils a more general application, might be preferable. I enjoyed using Grinch's 5wt so much that I had him build me a 4wt in the same series. Plus, you'll be able to get it custom built to your specification for probably less than the cost of a Method.

I thought the Method was probably one of the best distance casting rods I've used...but if I owned one I think I would use it less than one day a season. It was just impractically quick for me and lacked the feel and response that I like in a fly rod. If you do like it then great, we've all got different casting strokes, but I would highly recommend casting one and thinking about its fishing application before you bite the bullet.

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:16 pm

Just building up an Affinity 6 wgt right now. Really nice rods.....

J D

Post by J D » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:31 pm

The Orvis Helios 2 has been a surprisingly good rod for me as well. I have the 10' 5wt. I had no intention of buying one but I had an old broken Orvis rod bought for me as a gift years ago....the local Orvis shop offered an incredible deal when I brought it in for repair under the 25 year warranty. Long story short I walked away with a new Helios for well under 50% off. I intended to use it for short line nymphing, and as a float tube rod. It has performed great doing everything I've asked including some delicate dry fly fishing....never was an Orvis fan but this rod has really impressed me.

That being said I do like my Sages but I think for the money there are better finds out there.

Now I am dying to try the line of CTS blanks!

"When My Ship Comes In, I'll Probably Be At The Airport"

DMJ

Post by DMJ » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:59 pm

Sorry for waking up an old thread, but the poster have not signalled if he bought the rod yet :)

I have a Method 5wt, it's a great rod for what it is. It has plenty of power and you can overline it as some say is needed. However, the way I enjoy fishing mine is by using a 4wt SA XD (The green one) line on it. Gives me plenty of control and the nice crisp feeling of casting with the tip. I have also used it for 6wt sinking lines, it handles that fine as well (but that is no surprise as any rod with the 5wt printed on it should be able to).

It is a rod that is very versatile, but I think it might be too stiff for some. I enjoy it for what it is and it is doing a fine job catapulting shooting heads far out in the horizon on the danish coast as well.

When all that is said, I wouldn't pick it as my first choice for NZ, but I did pack it for streamers and more windy days. The Sage One is probably a more obvious choice, unless you prefer a stiff rod (yeah, I know what you're thinking :D). If it doesn't have to say Sage on the blank, the Affinity MX #5 weight is a hell of a rod, great value for money and supports the local economy :)

fowang

Post by fowang » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:40 am

J D wrote:The Orvis Helios 2 has been a surprisingly good rod for me as well. I have the 10' 5wt. I had no intention of buying one but I had an old broken Orvis rod bought for me as a gift years ago....the local Orvis shop offered an incredible deal when I brought it in for repair under the 25 year warranty. Long story short I walked away with a new Helios for well under 50% off. I intended to use it for short line nymphing, and as a float tube rod. It has performed great doing everything I've asked including some delicate dry fly fishing....never was an Orvis fan but this rod has really impressed me.

That being said I do like my Sages but I think for the money there are better finds out there.

Now I am dying to try the line of CTS blanks!

Must stamp on my hydros ;)

J D

Post by J D » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:48 am

LOL....my old Orvis Silver Label was broken by my son in a garage door. Could not argue with the service on the warranty....also...should have read...I got the new rod for well "over" 50% off.

"When My Ship Comes In, I'll Probably Be At The Airport"