Cameras - Tough or Standard Compact?

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
Whio

Re: Cameras - Tough or Standard Compact?

Post by Whio » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:35 pm

Cheers for your opinions guys. After reading through all the advertising and the conflicting expert reviews I finally opted for the Olympus TG-3.
It arrived in the mail today and looks cool. Will try it out when I get it off the charger and maybe post some pics idc.

Some of my life I spend fly fishing, the rest I just waste!

Whio

Post by Whio » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:44 pm

Tried out the macro setting yesterday. Unfortunately had to over compress it to get it to post.
Rage2A.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Some of my life I spend fly fishing, the rest I just waste!

J D

Post by J D » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:35 am

Even compressed the picture still looks great.

"When My Ship Comes In, I'll Probably Be At The Airport"

David A

Post by David A » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:40 pm

That looks good.

It's amazing how close the compact cameras focus - even a DSLR with proper macro lens can't touch them. 8-)

piwakawaka

Post by piwakawaka » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:36 pm

David A

One of "Steve's" favourites. Whilst compacts etc take great images and may be the perfect solution for trout fishing....don't kid yourself they will produce superior images to a dslr and dedicated macro lens. Raynox and Marumi Achromats can help produce stunning images on "fixed" lens camera's but not everyone can be bothered with the setup time or lighting requirements...tripods etc.
Just like flyrods...each to his own.

David A

Post by David A » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:05 pm

piwakawaka wrote:...don't kid yourself they will produce superior images to a dslr and dedicated macro lens.
No, I'm fairly realistic about pocket camera quality.
That said, they are getting much better with every generation and I think there will be real alternatives to heavy DSLR gear out there any time soon.

By next season I would like a pocket alternative to a DSLR kit for days when I'm more interested in fishing than photography, but still want a decent shot should the opportunity present itself.
At present I like to Sony RX1R because of it's extraordinary image quality and tiny size though the price puts it right up there with solid gold by weight.

Lots of new stuff will be announced for the Photokina show this spring so I'll be keeping an eye out. :D

piwakawaka

Post by piwakawaka » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:39 pm

David

If you get the chance check out Steve Reekie's Flickr file for New Zealand macro shots. Mostly taken on a Panasonic DMC FZ200 with a 250 Raynox close up lens. Lighting is mostly achieved with a headlamp and the results are stunning.
I was motivated to improve my photography by "Kakahi"....he is largely responsible for the many hundreds of dollars(thousands really) and countless hours I have spent on the rocky road to improvement.
Is my gear practical for flyfishing...absolutely not...but that's Kakahi's fault not mine.

Ross

David A

Post by David A » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:02 pm

Ross,
Thanks for that !
That's guys stuff is amazing - and it's nice to look at some non-fishing stuff every now & then !

murfm

Post by murfm » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:01 pm

My Olympus 1030 SW is now 8 years old and has survived rivers, the sea and many swimming pools so I am very happy with it
murf