Spey Fishing: Recommended Setup?

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
flyfish

Re: Spey Fishing: Recommended Setup?

Post by flyfish » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:19 am

I dunno Fraser, it's not a big river and the fish are small in reality, anything over a 6wt is too heavy IMO on the Tongariro, even with a long leader and big indicator, can't recall the last time I saw someone using an 8-9wt setup on the river. And there is not much water you can't cover with a single-hander, but it looks a fun method none the less... big flies usually = big fish!

I think the downstream Vs Upstream tension solely arises from the fact downstreaming takes up far more of the pool, especially on a long swing, which put's pressure on crowded pools as a smaller number of nymph anglers can fish it, but most seem to live in harmony still. Just need to make sure the swung line from above is out of your nymph drift line.

Crowded pools you say?!!!. not an issue in the mighty south of course!

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:00 pm

You obviously know the water way better than I do mate, but your seriously saying you don't call it a big river?? :? :?
If that's not big, then what constitutes a big river in your book??

Iv only fished it the once and it was amazing on the spey rod and perfect for it. I fished the Hydro pool and above for the day with a 13'6" #8 rod. Sure the rod weight was overkill, but I was aiming to cover all the water, ie the entire river width. Maybe it was in higher flow than when you usually fish it? Most of the pools were around the 40-50m wide, so pretty hard to fish that well with a single hander IMO

Remember with a spey rod you can target those big fish in the middle of a large pool that you don't even consider trying for with a single handed rod.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:47 pm

Nah, it's filled in progressively over the last 20 years, most pools are quite shallow and shingly now, I can only think of a few pools where you can't reach the far bank with a 6wt single hander and regardless most of the lies are at ya feet! The Hydro is one for sure, maybe the head of cattle Rustlers, Kamahi and Major Jones. I struggle to get some fight out of the fish on light gear alone, let alone a heavy outfit, you'd be positively winching them in! You can get deep with the two hander for sure. But the lighter stuff is far more enjoyable to use.

Rivers like the Whakapapa, Waikato, Clutha, Kawarau, most of the West Coast rivers... now they seem big!

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:17 pm

Maybe I just fished the right pools then? as you just listed the pools I fished? (Hydro, cattle Rustlers & Kamahi)

Yea those are proper BIG rivers. They all have massive flows, in excess of 200cumecs. I still would call the Tongariro a large river at around 20cumecs. I mean other than maybe the Hutt are there other rivers you fish that are close to that size?

Hell I like rivers/ streams that are around 5cumecs or less to fish. You mustn't even consider that a puddle? :lol:

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:18 pm

The Motueka has an average flow of maybe 20 cumecs. It's safely wadeable lower down up to 35 cumecs. It's fishable up to around 70 cumecs. After that you generally can't see your feet when in the water up to your knees. To me that's too dirty. My benchmark..

Anyways. I still regard the Mot at 70 cumecs as a small river. I'll happily fish it with a 5 or 6 wgt at that flow.

kotuku71

Post by kotuku71 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:28 am

Remember switch rods and specs are rated two weights heavier. So a 7 wt is really a 9 wt. My first switch was a 5 wt TFO.....this is all I need to chuck nymphs on the Tongariro and smaller rivers. But a bit light for heavy sinking tips so I got a 7wt for that. It throws anything for miles using a made up Commando style 15 ft head on light running line. The 5wt also throws for miles using a similar but lighter head, however, for nymphing, having a thicker handling section and slightly thicker running line l prefer my Switch Chucker.
As Fraser says, methods change and 20 plus ft heads are on the way out.
Ps been 7 days on the canals. Good rainbows still, but salmon over 2 pound are rare