Landing Net

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
piwakawaka

Re: Landing Net

Post by piwakawaka » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:43 pm

Hi

I wouldn't worry too much about the durability of the Mcleans black "rubber" nets. I changed from the soft mesh a few years back and despite getting caught in barbed wire fences and matagouri bushes I have yet to damage it.
Part of that stems from having a good magnetic net release that parts company before the mesh is damaged in the event of an unintended hook up.
I find I can release fish better with the rubber net because it does not "tangle" around jaws/teeth etc like the soft mesh nets tend to.
I have recently toyed with getting the same net that "flyfish" uses because he seems to net fish with considerably less drama than me.....but on further reflection I am convinced most things he does would fall into that category.

Ross

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:55 pm

Cheers all.... there isn't the full McLean range in the UK, so will have a look upon arrival in NZ. I use a much smaller tear shaped net in the UK, out fishing with a mate who is a guide and has fished in NZ... he looked at my net and said 'you need a bigger net for NZ Matt'.... I can use it for sea trout when I return.
I like the look of the extra reach of the long handled net, but much prefer a short handled net hanging off my back.... decisions, decisions :D

Whio

Post by Whio » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:52 pm

I have the 200 model which gives the ability to have a short handle when carrying and extending to a long handle when required. The 120 is the same net but with scales built in to the handle.

Some of my life I spend fly fishing, the rest I just waste!

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:17 am

Cheers all...
Still makes me chuckle when I think of my mate looking at my net and saying... you need a bigger net for NZ...
I hope so :D