NZ Strike Indicator

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
Whio

NZ Strike Indicator

Post by Whio » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:45 pm

I've just received an indicator set with the tool, tubing and extra wool yarn. Can someone advise if it's necessary or recommended to treat the yarn with floatant before use? Cheers

Some of my life I spend fly fishing, the rest I just waste!

Wilki

Re: NZ Strike Indicator

Post by Wilki » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:06 am

I have the strike indicator setup also, if I'm using a really small one I tend to add floatant but if I tie a bulky one I tend not to unless it gets water logged and sinks. In saying that, I seem to change my rig a lot while fishing currently so tend not to bother with floatant much at all even on my dries.
That's just me, I'm interested to hear others thoughts also...

kotuku71

Post by kotuku71 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:25 am

I thought this commercial stuff was already treated. For small indicators I use dyed wool that has been soaked in silicone from camping shops

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:13 am

I always add floatant despite the natural fibre containing Lanolin, and I personally only use liquid Mucilin, i.e. (pure silicone), as it's a natural fibre, as opposed to synthetic, it gets right into the fibre and stays there. I think they recommend Loon gels from memory as well, I used it a lot over the past season. The new improved system is very good, the tool is better to hold.

Andrew

iball007

Post by iball007 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:48 am

I've used this system quite a bit around the TT & the Tongariro - along with the yarn and rubber o-ring type. I don't treat the NZ Strike Indicator as the wool has the water repelling properties as such, and the tool and clear tubing system is quite easy to use. You can make them as big or small as you like, and move them up & down the leader easily.

Once your finished, just reverse the procedure and the clear tubing is back on the tool, and you can pop the wool back in the bag. Eventually they do get a little water logged (just like any indicator does), but a few extra false casts usually clears them out easily enough.

I have found that with yarn & o-ring type that once they get water logged (even when treated) they aren't particularly buoyant, and can become difficult to see - especially in rougher water at distance (a la Tongariro).

Nztayls

Post by Nztayls » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:13 pm

I tried one of these out for the first time the other day. I quickly frustrated with the wool - as it quickly became waterlogged and sunk, despite replacing it several times. Next outing I used the system again - but subsituted the wool for some Loon indicator yarn. Worked an absolute treat, and the same indicator lasted the entire day and never became water logged. So, I think it's a good system - just not sure about the wool. I've seen the promotional videos that seemed to be made for the American market, where quiet a bit is made of the fact that the wool is from NZL sheep, so I get how this might appeal.

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:14 am

I still use liquid silicone on them - it's a natural fibre so the silicone soaks really well as opposed to poly, find them fine for occasional use, but not all-day use. Yes, heavily orientated towards the US market as that's where the majority of the sales are made, I actually made most of the clips for them right here in good 'ol Wellington! It's a good system, I still use a dry indicator the majority of the time however, especially this time of the year.

Andrew

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:02 pm

I've used natural wool pulled from barbed wire with good consistent results. And it's free!!! Also that (is it Loon???) strike indicator yarn cut into smaller sections is a good option. I don't use that NZ strike indicator kit, going with the original setup of thinly cut bic biro tube sections. Just as good and again costs nothing!! 8-)

icthusiast

Post by icthusiast » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:04 am

Completely agree with Johnno.

My domestic affairs consultant once picked up a ball of acrylic yarn from Spotlight that has provided me with a lifetime of indicator material. It's predominantly loose fibre held together by an easily removed binding thread.

I also picked up a can of Silicon spray from Repco (or similar?) which I keep with my gear. The occasional belt on indicator fibre and/or dry flies works a treat.

All the best
GarthS
<"}}}><\

peelproductions

Post by peelproductions » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:33 pm

i just grab wool from a fence on the farm, never ever had an issue with it water logging.