Single handed spey lines

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
TheBadger

Re: Single handed spey lines

Post by TheBadger » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:01 pm

I can't remember the specific model, but by far the best line I've used for single hand spey casts was a Loop Multi or Opti single hand spey line. It was basically an integrated shooting head, but a very very useful rod if you're looking for something to use almost exclusively for spey casting.

In saying that, there shouldn't be any real difficulty performing dynamic spey's/rolls with most WF floating lines, so it might be worth spending a bit of time working on the casting side of it before buying a specific spey line. In particular the types of cast you use will have a big bearing on how much weight you can cast. With a suitable setup the Tongariro Roll Cast can chuck out some serious weight. Not quite as much as a Skagit setup could on a heavy rod, but plenty enough for deep nymphing the Tongariro.

ikemalpass

Post by ikemalpass » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:51 am

I have been out on the field practising with some old weight forward lines and also managed to get over to the wairarapa and have a bit of fun trying spey techniques out there with the WF - dynamic rolls etc.

I could definitely improve my casting in general, but it would be nice to be able to throw some bigger flies using my (as yet) sloppier technique.

I have not tried the Tongariro roll, but what would you consider a suitable setup? Speed of rod etc?

TheBadger

Post by TheBadger » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:23 am

The thing with any spey or roll cast is that whilst you can to some extent replicate it on grass, you really have to practice it on the water to properly get to grips with the timing and actual mechanics of the cast.

I'm far from an expert on the TRC, but preferably you don't want too stiff of a rod. Something with a nice progressive action. I find most spey casts easier with a slightly softer rod. A lot of what loads the rod for the TRC is generated by the substantial indicator and heavy weight of the flies, so it relies on a relatively specific setup (although there are very similar variants that can be done with more conventional setups. Herb Spannagl has written extensively on the mechanics of the cast to every level of detail imaginable, so I'd suggest you read some of his stuff. If you do fish the Tongariro a lot then I couldn't recommend enough that you learn this cast. There's something very nice about not having to worry about getting whacked in the back of the head by a load of split shot...

Chris Dore

Post by Chris Dore » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:25 am

I prefer to have Spey students practise on grass before hitting the water. Remove the distractions of the river and build good technique without having to compromise with currents etc. If you learn on grass, you'll be a whiz in the river

http://www.chrisdore.com/apps/blog/show ... ss-casting

Chris Dore
Queenstown
www.chrisdore.com

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:59 pm

Geez my spey casting has come along way since that photo was taken? Cheers Chris ! If your down our way get Chris to give you some pointers, the boy knows how to throw a line!!! ;)

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Chris Dore

Post by Chris Dore » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:46 pm

Haha as I said. Its all about learning to use as little effort as possible :)

Chris Dore
Queenstown
www.chrisdore.com

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:39 pm

Haha. May be down for a week or two in October Chris. I'll be booking in a day of double handed casting instruction. My efforts are so awful I only do it when there is no one else around.. :D