Polarized glasses

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
Martycld

Polarized glasses

Post by Martycld » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:06 pm

Hello Sirs,

I want to buy polarized glasses but I read that some colors are better when the water is clear and it's very sunny (I think it's brown/green) and yellow glasses are better is water is more cloudy.

Which color & model could you recommend me?

Thank you,

fraser hocks

Re: Polarized glasses

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:26 am

Personally i like glass lenses. I just find there clarity a lot nicer to look through. Iv got a range of sunglasses, but tend to always end up with a Pair of Spotters Thunder frames since they fit my face nicely and don't let much if any light in from the sides.

Iv got these with yellow polarized glass lenses. Most say that you only use them on dark days, but i find that it has to be an extremely bright day for me not to want to use these. I did buy them originally for dark days in deep valleys but iv found i use them most days now.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:41 am

Sunnies are like rods.... 20 fishermen will have 20 answers. FWIW I use brown lensed Maui Jims right now and they are great! They have a bifocal in the lower half which means that now my eyes are losing it, I dont need to carry reading glasses....

In the past have used Bolle, Smiths, Vuarnet, and RayBan and all for me were perfect for the job. Whatever you end up : I agree with fraser - glass lenses and also get the best you can afford. Your eyes will thank you for it.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:31 am

You have reminded me Johnno to go find some of those stick on bifocals.! Got sick of not been able to thread a fly on last year.

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:20 pm

haha Fraser, you younger than me and need glasses already? Must be that good southern lifestyle lol

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:52 pm

Good point mate. Must be too many years staring at a computer monitor?

Martycld

Post by Martycld » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:55 pm

Hello gentlemen,
sorry i'm not english native speaker, so to be sure, what is glass lenses? you mean the lenses you put in/on your eye?

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:08 am

Definitely 2 pairs for very bright or low light levels.
I have a pair of Amber costa's which work fine for me in brighter sky's, glass lenses, brilliantly lenses- cut through the glare on the water better than most other makes I've tried, brilliant for fish spotting.
My low light glasses are just a cheap pair, but the Smiths Optics low light ignitors get great reviews- a purchase for next season (I need new waders first)

The glass lens refers to the part you look through in the sunglasses, you can get-
Glass.... Normally slightly clearer and less chance of distortion and hard to scratch, but they are heavier in weight and can crack/shatter if you drop them
Polycarbonate- scratch easier, clarity isn't quite as clear when you look through them (although that is relative to glass lenses, they are still fantastic if you get a good pair) but are tougher in that they won't crack or shatter if you drop them and lighter in weight

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:32 am

Hi Guys, Nice find a good NZ Fly fishing forum, they are always good for some help and advice. I am just getting back into the fishing scene after a 10 year break, i fished the Gisborne area and did a lot of wild fishing in the Ruakaturi Waioeka and Motu rivers. After sorting out my gear i have lost my Polaroid glasses over that time and now looking to get another pair. Wow We...after doing some internet research on polaroids there have been some big changes over the 10 years of different types etc on the market , so now i am so bloody confused i don't know what to do or buy. Iam now also retired and dont wont to spend a fortune, i know some will say spend good money to get the results, i think glasses is an individual thing and everyone will have a different opinion. After reading on lots of overseas Forums I am now deciding to go plastic lenses way for various reasons, plastic lens are getting better all the time in clarity some people can hardly tell the difference, they are also light weight and cost effective, and i do take very good care of my gear so they will be looked after. There is one thing i will do though is try for a good fit before i buy don't want to end up spending couple hundred and the fit is wrong. I live in the Wellington region if anyone could point me to a good shop to find what i am looking for i would appreciate your help.