Thoughts on hip packs? Want to buy

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
SuperJack.10

Thoughts on hip packs? Want to buy

Post by SuperJack.10 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:35 am

Hi guys,

Any experience with hip packs? I'm thinking they might be a good option for when a vest/pack is too much and I can get away with ducking down to the river for a few hours with something nice and light. This Simms one looks nice but if anything might be a bit much: http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/vests- ... -pack.html. I feel like the older incarnations of this pack may've been slightly smaller (but I'm not sure) and perhaps that would be better for me.

Anybody looking to get rid of one? I haven't seen any on TradeMe and the shipping costs on those I saw on eBay made it pointless.

ChromeChaser

Re: Thoughts on hip packs? Want to buy

Post by ChromeChaser » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:29 pm

I have the fishpond one. Bought in Canada last time I was there. Seem people hate them, others love 'em.

Don't use it much for trout fishing, find a vest more useful, but when I'm swinging a fly either during the winter or for the salmon, the hip packs are fantastic!

I've heard that the simms ones are somewhat waterproof, So I would imagine that if you plan on trips where swimming is required, they would be fantastic for keeping your bits and bobs dry

You can also rest your rod on top of them when your rigging up to which is also handy

Not sure about the $150 price tag, seems excessive

SuperJack.10

Post by SuperJack.10 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:42 pm

Thanks CC. I agree $150 felt overpriced - hence the second hand request haha.

I got a PM offering me a Patagonia sling and I think that will do the job nicely. It also has a waterproof compartment. I think if you wanted waterproofing to the point of swimming from Simms you'd need to go for the 'Dry Creek' line rather than the link I posted, but they're more expensive again.

ozswitch

Post by ozswitch » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:09 pm

use a SIMMS headwaters sling pack over here in Brisbane, especially during our summer as a back pack or sling is too hot, take enough with me for a day and then some, plus drinks and snacks and a bit of first aid stuff liek comp. bandage for potential snakes etc, something obviously u dont have to worry about over there.
If you wade deep you can bring it up over your shoulder like a sling pack to keep it and its contents dry, very comfortable for a days fishing.

murfm

Post by murfm » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:29 am

I bought an Airflow front/backpack combo on Trademe for $50 and for day fishing Not as flask as Simms but cant go wrong at that price as it hadn't been used.
I pretty much just use the front patch for a quick fish. Great with a fly patch on top for changing flies as it is nearly horizontal. Haven't used my vest since!

Salmo Brown Trout

Post by Salmo Brown Trout » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:13 pm

Hi Murfm
I had one of those and you'd be better off spending the extra money for a better front/backpack.
Mine only lasted 11 months, before I threw it away.

I had to get the front part re-sown, on both sides, because the fabric ran threw the stitching, twice. The first within 6 months.
The front zip broke off completely.
The back latch for your next came off completely.

In the end the I couldn't stitch the front part anymore.

I spent the extra money and bought a fish pond one 2 years ago and it hasn't missed a beat.

tight lines

Paul

A bad day's fishing beats a good day working.