4wt vs 5wt

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
RTJC

Re: 4wt vs 5wt

Post by RTJC » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:38 pm

Thanks for all of your replies.
I am leaning towards the 4wt just because, if I look at it, most of my fishing - 80% - would be fine with a 4wt.
I am really keen to try a range of rods but am unsure if the local shop (hunting and fishing store) does demos. I will have to ask to find out. It sounds like the Sage One is a stiffer rod so will perhaps have more power than some more dry fly oriented 4wts.
I landed a beautiful 5lb brownie tonight on the old man's 4wt on 4lb tippet and it was a great fight. That is a good sized fish for where I tend to go so I'm feeling more secure about the stopping power.
I like the suggestion of getting both as that would seem to cover most situations (not including the one or two trips I take each year to Turangi). Plus one reel should cover both with a 5 and 4 wt line on separate spools but that's something that will have to be done over time perhaps.

ChromeChaser

Post by ChromeChaser » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:15 pm

DSCF0018.JPG
Mate, it doesn't really matter. Its how you play the fish more than anything. This is a 14 + lb Brown that I easy landed on a 4 wt and 4 lb tippet. I like 4 wt's for just about everything. However, if I fish the Waiau that has some serious current behind it, then a 5 wt is just at home. Just don't play your fish using the rod tip. The butt section has all the power 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Blackhackle

Post by Blackhackle » Sun May 10, 2015 1:19 pm

Take a look at an Epic 476 4wt or 580 5wt, fiberglass, indestructible, can handle any small to medium stream conditions or sight fishing on larger water.