Micro Rings

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
pomscott

Re: Micro Rings

Post by pomscott » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:45 pm

I've used surgeons knots for leader to tippet (and dropper) for more years than I care to think about. Leader to line is also loopless for minimum disturbance. However, one of my frequent variables is tippet length and strength, so the leader does shrink. The rings just may be one way of eliminating that.....I'll give them a fair go and then decide to use or dump them.

Whio

Post by Whio » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:44 pm

But have to ask, what purpose do the serve that cannot be done with Uni-knots, blood knots etc.
I started using them because I was getting knot failure between the nylon leader and fluro tippet. Using micro rings totally eliminated this for me.

Some of my life I spend fly fishing, the rest I just waste!

ziffle

Post by ziffle » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:17 am

yeah but how do you tie the bloody things Whio, they're so tiny and fiddly?

Whio

Post by Whio » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:28 am

yeah but how do you tie the bloody things Whio, they're so tiny and fiddly?
I store them on a small brass safety pin. ALWAYS tie the leader (or tippet) onto the ring BEFORE removing the ring from the safety pin. That way you never loose them. :)

Some of my life I spend fly fishing, the rest I just waste!

pomscott

Post by pomscott » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:12 pm

Gave the Japanese "Climax" rings, the small 15lb version, a good test around Rotorua in February. Fluorocarbon leader to fluorocarbon tippets. Uni-knot with two turns through the ring first, well lubricated. Had a couple of bust offs on fish at the fly and some tippet breaks on snags. Not a single break at the ring. For me they're great, standard in my gear now.

pomscott

Post by pomscott » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:27 am

Ps, should have said that I'm using Frog Hair fluorocarbon. Find that the bit of stretch and flexibility lets knots snug down well. Generally 13lb leader going down to 9 or 6 or 5lb tippet depending on need.