Double hand fly rod

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
John ferran

Double hand fly rod

Post by John ferran » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:35 pm

So I’ve went and ordered a Scott double hand 13ft 8wt rod I’m going to go with a skagit set up and I’m going to target sea trout and salmon was wondering if anyone haS tried there hand at Fishing for salmon with the double hander back home in my native country Ireland this is the only way most rivers are fished For salmon but I’ve yet to come across anyone on the main rivers over here doing it
Thoughts???🤔🤔🤔

fraser hocks

Re: Double hand fly rod

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:20 am

Hi there John. Yea iv been fishing double handed rods for quite a few years now. A lot of us fish through winter now in this part of the world (Queenstown) with double handed rods. The big issue we face here is lack of salmon for salmon fishing. The stocks are in serious decline to the point that many who focus on salmon consider it a good season if they get a singular fish the entire season. We just focus on the trout, of what you will know are relatively plentiful and to good proportions.

I got into it around 7-8 years ago. At the time I encouraged many people in our local club to get into it as well. As I used to say to my wife "I'm the only spey in the village" :lol: Now its often at the point where il turn up to an access and there are already a couple of people swinging through the pools. Great to see :P

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:30 am

mōrena,

If you search the forum you may find previous reference to the same question. Its doable - even with the salmon stocks in serious decline, but you would have to target suitable water with a likelihood of salmon being present...

In CSI region it is especially easier as you can fish the thinner water where fish are visible up until the end of Feb, and for March there is still some good water possible in the eastern zone where you can see salmon holding up. You just have to beat feet on the riverbed.

In NCF&G region there is one spot (which ironically I took Fraser to some time ago - but he had a Fraser moment and had left his skagit reel on the bench in town :lol:) where - depending on the river conditions its doable as well. Just watch for the location of the white posts is all I would say.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:41 pm

Ah that's right Andy. No, I remember you took me to that spot where we could see a few big salmon sitting at the back of a run. (the pool with the huge pine trees atop) I swung a fly to one, while you spotted. It moved towards the fly but didn't take. :lol: Despite using a Scott T3H 13' 8# I still had no Idea what I was going to do if that fish took, it was huge! I remember having my heart in my mouth as you called it was coming 8-)

Good time bro. Must catch up for a fish this summer hey ;)

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

John ferran

Post by John ferran » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:45 pm

Yes the salmon has been getting less over the past few years I used to Catch a lot of salmon over here but the last 3 years has been terrible one of the reasons for getting into the double hander way of fishing for salmon is that I’m sure you’d pick up trout fishing a swinging fly