Making your Vote Count!

Issues affecting our sport...
OneHairyArm

Making your Vote Count!

Post by OneHairyArm » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:59 am

Following on from the previous thread -

I really have no idea who to vote for this time. Usually I'm centre-right, due manly to working in smaller businesses my wage/turn over is always better during their tenure.
But I have no idea this time around. National has shown it's true colours through the likes of the so called Honourable Nick Smith, but labour just seem to be grasping at straws. I don't like Cunliffe, and really struggle to see how he could lead a nation.
I don't trust the Greens attitude to trout and have spoken to party members who seemed fixated on returning rivers back to their pre salmonoid state. - Is this party policy or just a few local extremist's?

What are Fish and Games take on the party's policies? is there a stand out party - I know they have to be impartial but there is very little on the net ranking policies - I can find the one from 2008 but not much else.

So how do you vote on the current economic, social and environmental issues? I really am un decided and your thoughts would be most appreciated.

Maybe we'll all gain some insight, and hopefully come out the other end with a united position?

"If you want to catch beasts you don't see everyday.
You have to go places quite out of the way.
You have to go places others can't get to.
You have to get cold, and you have to get wet, too" Dr Seuss.

Andy W

Re: Making your Vote Count!

Post by Andy W » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:33 pm

The issue of Fish and Game magazine (Bob South’s magazine) that precedes an election usually carries an article around the self-same problem, and has in the past posed a series of questions to each party the answers to which F&G then publish. Hopefully this year too?

In the past United Future had our interests well covered in terms of environment and habitat.

OneHairyArm

Post by OneHairyArm » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:41 pm

United Future was my vote last time. I have search in relation to " Outdoor recreation" in all the major party's policies - and again UF comes out the clearest. They have everything broken down from banning 1080 through to angling. The other parties just seem to give the typical politicians answer - it's very important to all NZ'ers and we will back all blah de blah blah.......

The problem with UF is they are just too small to actually influence any partners. Yes he got the ban on Heli hunting last election and good on him. But that was about it. We need policies like UF's but with the majority behind them to actually be effective. IMHO

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:02 pm

NZFFA latest newsletter has some good points in regards to making your vote count: http://www.nzfishingclubs.co.nz/newsletters.htm

upstream

Post by upstream » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:59 am

For someone who is concerned about the state of our natural areas and waterways, National’s policies make for dire reading.

What have we seen under this current government:
• Sacking Ecan councillors and undemocratically appointing commissioners sympathetic to irrigation.
• Sought to vary Water Conservation orders
• Gutted DOC funding and severely curtailed its ability to advocate for the environment.
• Tried to gut the RMA to give economic considerations precedence over environmental concerns (They will push this through if they have the numbers this time around).
• Pushed Mohikinui River dam despite DOC’s reports of environmental damages.
• Cancelled the 5 yearly state of the environment report (inconvenient reading)
• Vigorously opposed the ground breaking One Plan
• Established national minimum water quality standards that mean that you could wade in a river, but not swim.
• Subsidised irrigation schemes with taxpayer money.
• Hid DOC’s submission expressing concerns over the proposed Ruataniwha dam in Hawkes Bay.
• Threatened Fish and Game with Reorganisation should they continue to advocate for water quality.

I’m sure that others can think of many more items.

I have tended to vote centre right, choosing United Future in recent elections. I have a lot of time for Peter Dunne, and at least he is standing between National and their more extreme developmental agenda.

I have considered voting Green party this time around. While I don’t agree with all of their social policies, they are the only party that have sustainable environmental policies. They seem to have left the loony left element behind. And I believe they have more integrity than most other groups. I believe that their policies would lead to better water quality and therefore better fish habitat. Sacrificing the odd stream to native fish would be a small price to pay.

I’m not looking forward to another term of National. They seem to already be showing third term arrogance and the sense of entitlement. And their subvergence of democracy in the interest of political advancement is deliberate and dangerous. And they seem to be completely out of ideas of where to go from here. Their only vision for economic development is to milk more cows and dig more holes in the ground.

So it will be either UF or Greens for me. Still undecided…

OneHairyArm

Post by OneHairyArm » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:48 pm

I couldn't agree more Kevin.

I'm still undecided but I think the greens may be the way to go. I too have a time for Peter Dunn, but I just don't believe he will have the firepower to make any changes this time round.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:14 pm

Yep add the Canterbury Water Management Strategy to your list Kevin, well summed up here by Murray Rogers

Have you seen Nationals latest TV add, something about voting for them to protect the environment :evil: A clear case of false advertising if I ever saw one!

I agree, it's between the UF or the Greens, I'm going Greens I think, they're on the up, they do still have stuff I don't agree with, but like you Kevin another term of National pushing more dairy is very very scary for our rivers, I've seen enough first hand of the CWMS to know it's just a façade, and it's all so frustrating as I do believe we can have both, thriving agriculture and clean rivers, it's just a case of priorities

Vote for the environment, clean rivers, a clean green country

More Dairy Farms coming;

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:03 pm

Vote for Fresh, Not Foul Water campaign is encouraging all anglers to take their passion for freshwater fishing to the ballot box, read what they say here: NZ Federation of Freshwater Anglers

OneHairyArm

Post by OneHairyArm » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:53 pm

Holy F%$^

Where the hell have the National Supporters been Hiding........ Kiss our rivers goodbye people.

upstream

Post by upstream » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:34 pm

Outright majority = good bye RMA as we know it.
And who knows what else...