Freshwater Fishing Licence Cost

Issues affecting our sport...
mitchell300

Re: Freshwater Fishing Licence Cost

Post by mitchell300 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:36 am

I wonder if fish and game are doing their utmost to give us value for money? I see them driving expensive Ford rangers with expensive looking sign writing. I'd rather see them using great walls or Fotons (assuming they were fit for purpose and safe) with cheap discreet sign writing. If that sort of expenditure pervades the the whole setup..... It would be cool to see them using EV's around town and surely cheaper 2WDs would be fine for a lot of what they do? There's not much incentive for teenagers to get into fishing with the current licensing set up. I have nephew's and nieces who are approaching twelve years of age. Their parents are not going to shell out for licenses for them and a family license will only stretch so far you can't drag the whole extended whanau along. It has reached a point where youth and those on tight budgets are being excluded from the system.

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:05 am

IT'S NOT JUST THE YOUNGSTERS BEING PENALISED . US POOR OLD PENSIONERS ;) ALSO COP IT .
WHEN I GOT TO 65 MY GOOD LADY TOOK UP FISHING WITH ME (which is great ) . I WAS NOT GRANTED THE PROMISED DISCOUNT AS I HAD TO GET THE FAMILY LICENCE FOR BOTH OF US . LAST WK I PAID $173.oo.
A WEALTHY YOUNG MAN IN A HIGH PAYING JOB GETS HIS FAMILY LICENCE FOR THE SAME AMOUNT .
MY YEARS OF CONTRIBUTING COUNT FOR NOTHING . THE WHOLE SYSTEM NEEDS LOOKING AT .
Al.

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:43 pm

Fish & Game New Zealand have set up a Strategic Finance Sub Committee to look into the costs of running the organisation. I put my name forward but was not accepted for this committee. Over the last 25 years the real cost of an adult full season licence has gone up 43%. Some areas of F&G don't have enough licence sales to cover their expenses so some of the other regions have to subsidize these regions and some regions cost far more to run than they should. There definitely need to be some changes but I am not sure enough councillors have the will to make the changes.
Dave

stickle7

Post by stickle7 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:37 pm

I would have to agree with TIDDLER, I was getting the discounted licence and then my wife decided to throw the fishing line in,and me being a law fearing indivdual decided to buy a family licence. Full price, the reason quoted was the family licence was already discounted. In my many years of having a fishing licence I have only been approached one time and that was in the back of beyond. So maybe we need the epauletted shirt brigade (rangers) to find thoes who are not buying a licence.
Kevin

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:32 pm

Hi Stickle7 if you don't feel there aren't enough rangers out there you could always contact your local Fish & Game office and offer to become an honorary ranger. Then you could do your bit to ensure that all anglers are paying their way.
Dave

stickle7

Post by stickle7 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:17 pm

Sorry dave I do not have the correct shirt. K