Oreti River Cycle trail proposed again!

Issues affecting our sport...
Salmo Brown Trout

Re: Oreti River Cycle trail proposed again!

Post by Salmo Brown Trout » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:40 am

"I say pick your battles, and trust me this isn't it. The impact of water extraction, and effluent disposal into our rivers is the war we need to win! ;)"

Fraser,
Based on this quote, you shouldn't be fighting the people here who are trying to protect your fishery.
Adding roads along side rivers gives more people access to the area, this will increase the presence of humans who do more damage to the environment than all the others species on the planet combined.
If the "old guys" from the club think its a good thing, it's because they can't do the hard walking yards and want to drive to the river to fish it, I guess this is where you could be heading to?

Water extraction and effluent disposal into the waters are the major wars we need to win, but they can be reversed, building tracks, bridges and hotels isn't.

We're all on here for our love of fishing, and any bloody project, big or small, that is going to affect our fishing is worth fighting for.

Get on-board sunshine :D

A bad day's fishing beats a good day working.

upstream

Post by upstream » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:02 am

Reversing water extraction and agricultural pollution is not easily reversed. How are we going to reverse the destruction that's happened to the lowland Canterbury streams? Tell the farmers that they can no longer take the water that they've built a business on?

I appreciate the concerns for the Oreti, and I would much rather that the cycle track never happened. But I don't think the threats are in the same category as some of the other threats to our rivers nationwide. Here in the Waikato we are currently faced with the Waikato Regional Council seeking consent to increase the gravel extraction from the Waipa river from 200 cubic metres per annum to 10,000 cubic metres per annum. They basically want to straighten the river in the name of flood control and to apparently improve water quality. DOC aren't interested in making a submission because they have been gutted of manpower.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:15 am

Salmo Brown Trout wrote:Based on this quote, you shouldn't be fighting the people here who are trying to protect your fishery.
Who said I was fighting them? Hey if they want to appose the application, then power to them. I'm just stating my point of view, and that is that im not apposed to the application. Nothing more than that. ;)

Well said Upstream! I'm with you on that one mate. When is that coming up for resource consent, and any ideas when applications against it can be made?

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Salmo Brown Trout

Post by Salmo Brown Trout » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:00 am

Upstream, I never said water extraction was easily reversed, but it's easier than removing tracks and bridges.
We've done it back home in Australia by buying the land off the farmers so they weren't using the water.
Look up the issue with the Murray river that was being used by two state governments for irrigation with knowing how much water each state was taking out of the river, thus making it run dry at its mouth.

You are both missing the point.

We should be fighting every battle to save our water ways no matter how big or small the issues are.

Fraser, with all due respect, if you aren't on board with fighting all these issues, then stop upsetting the fisherman who want to fight then and keep your negative opinions to yourself, it will make for happier reading here. :D

A bad day's fishing beats a good day working.

Waka

Post by Waka » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:25 pm

I cant see where the 80 000 number comes from. The weather in the area probably makes it only ride-able for 3 or so months of the year. I'd be interested to know how many go on the Ernslaw and bike the section between the two stations and how long that season is. I have mixed views on this because I'm a fisherman and a mtber. It wouldn't worry me if it went down the Mararoa, but it couldn't follow the current road. I don't believe the building of the track or the finished track itself will have much of an effect on the river. The only effect will be people accessing the river from the track. I've heard people agianst the track saying it will riun the backcountry feel but it isn't really that backcountry, it's fenced and farmed. I would hate to see hotels etc built in the area which is the one thing that makes me slightly against it. I dont believe ripping people (Fraser) off for having an opinion is good, it is a forum for people to submit there views. We should allow to people to have them without grief.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:26 pm

Well seems they don't want to listen and have given the go ahead to develop the cycle trail down the Oreti....
http://southlanddc.govt.nz/assets/ATM-S ... -Trail.pdf

Lots of reading - has anyone heard any response from F&G on this

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:18 am

Here's what Dave Haynes (NZFFA) thinks of the decision...

ORETI CYCLE TRAIL OF SHAME]

piwakawaka

Post by piwakawaka » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:33 pm

Cycle Trail....

As a submitter against this proposal twice....Dave Haynes is not alone in his thoughts. One can only take solace from the Northland by-election, if Winston can prevail in that true blue seat because of electorate disenchantment with the Nats.....a change to a more environmentally friendly Government may be closer than we think.

Ross

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:31 pm

Good news, Southland F&G are appealing the decision, good on them!!

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:38 am

Better news - apparently F&G have won this one!! - waiting for the confirmation