Changes to Eastern region rules

Issues affecting our sport...
banni

Changes to Eastern region rules

Post by banni » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:14 pm

A possible change to the 2020/21 Eastern region regulations is to allow spinning at what are current winter flyfishing spots only in Tarawera and Rotoiti. How this can come about is totally beyond me, conflicts can only result as fly anglers face those with spinning rods decending on small stream mouths during the daytime and I expect at night if bubble floats are used/allowed. This change can only be for licence sales. Why not simply learn to flyfish? Its not that difficult. Others Thoughts on what could bring about the death of traditional flyfishing in the Eastern region.I messaged Eastern on FB but no reply.

Steve
Site Admin

Re: Changes to Eastern region rules

Post by Steve » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:05 pm

I think I recall a move to do something similar a few years ago in Hawkes Bay, which caused a lot of debate at the time - be interesting to know the reasons for the change

banni

Post by banni » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:39 am

Yes I was in Hawkes Bay at the time. Whole families bought spinning outfits and a family licence. I would suggest declining licence sales is behind it.

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:58 am

There are no fly only waters in the Nel-Marl area. There should be, as some water cries out for it. But the F and G won’t change that as they want fishing accessible to all... that’s the basic premise which I can understand. And licence sales certainly do figure in their equations. Nel-Marl F and G are pretty good at promoting fishing, they have winter fish releases in a couple of waters ( Lake Argyle for eg) which have proved extremely popular. You and I probably wouldn’t go join the crowds thronging there, but many do and provides opportunity to Buy a licence and fish where they probably wouldn’t have otherwise.

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:54 am

It would have to be about promoting more opportunity, thus license sales. The estimated loss in revenue (all of NZ license sales) for the next season is expected to be NZ$1.2 – 1.7 M, so all regions have to find revenue somewhere. At the very least - you should formally ask E F&G for their reasoning by emailing them.

It’s true that the two methods do not mix but one thing is certain, and that is - most spin fisherman have short attention spans. So if it’s not “going off” they move elsewhere.

My experience fishing the streams mouths of Coleridge in their heyday, was that the method in use by the bulk of the fisherman determined your place in the picket fence. All spin fisherman at night – you could take your place wherever, but those using bubble and fly or fly fishing where encouraged to move to the periphery. I never had an issue with that.

Fishing the stream mouths here in winter currently – if I am fly fishing in the rip or to one side, and a spin fisherman arrives I give them the opportunity to take my place and stand aside. Last season I caught most of my fish by switching to nymphing the rip in behind the spin fisherman – that gets you some envious looks!

Heads Up for you North Canterbury fisherman – expect some changes affecting regulations on our High Country lakes from 1st October too.

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:02 pm

Southland have also relaxed the rules, allowing bait fishing everywhere except the Upper Oreti and standardising the bag limit everywhere except the Upper Oreti to 2 fish. We only had one fly only river and that was the Eglinton. However the tourists on the way to Milford sound never knew the rules so used spinners anyway. The changes are to try and encourage more people to go fishing by allowing more methods and making the regulations less confusing. Yes F&G want to get more people out fishing. That has two advantages, more participants gives more power and it also increases income.
Many of the places I fish have been open to spin and bait fishing for years but I rarely see anyone that is not fly fishing.