Rafting operation for the ..... Mataura!

Issues affecting our sport...
WildAngler

Re: Rafting operation for the ..... Mataura!

Post by WildAngler » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:18 pm

I got a note today from Alan Leitch of the Wyndham Anglers, one of the anglers leading the grass-roots campaign against the proposal for commercial rafting the Mataura and Waikaia and Oreti. If you can make the October meeting of Southland Fish and Game, please do. Note that anyone wishing to speak needs to email Southland Fish and Game by Friday.

---------------

Hello,
Is anyone interested in going to the F&G October
meeting to outline the situation on rafting the
way the rank and file anglers see it.
This is most definitely non confrontational.
However, genuinely held opinions can be expressed.
If you wish to go and have speaking rights you must
email to cheryl.mason@southlandfishgame.co.nz
before Friday 27th September.
Cheryl will be able to tell you the date and start time.
If there is anyone who you think should be on this list,
and there probably is, let them know as well.
Regards
A.J.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:45 pm

I'm going to contact f&g Southland tomorrow to find out time and place as I'd like to represent myself or have a representative of the Wakatipu Anglers Club to voice our concerns.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:51 pm

Fraser
The meeting will be at the Fish & Game Office, 17 Eye Street, Invercargill. It will be on Thursday, October 10th starting at 6:00pm. As mentioned above, if you wish to speak you will need to contact the Fish & Game Office. Do make sure you have all your facts correct before speaking. I suspect there is quite a bit of mis-understanding in some of these posts.
Dave

mjl

Post by mjl » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:12 pm

F&G council have been silent on what exactly what they approved and why. Hopefully they will explain some things to their stakeholders at this meeting. At the moment, opinion certainly seems to be against their decision.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:31 am

Petitions got to 2400 - that's getting to be a pretty significant number now!

WildAngler

Post by WildAngler » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:03 pm

Dave, what exactly is misinformed? Anyone who wants a copy of the proposal can ask the SDC for a copy under the Freedom of Information Act. I'm also happy to share my copies. Just ask.

Drifter

Post by Drifter » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:20 pm

Mr cravens is talking pure crap , he no,s full well the amendments I have made to my proposal because I rung the guy over a week ago to say I had dropped the waikaia and have only requested 20 trips per calendar year on the Nokomai - Cattle flat reach , pretty minimal aye but surprise he,s not passing that on to anyone else because he has his own agenda , like needing a resource consent to operate I guess if im not there he wont need my written approval how ironic , I believe Pandora's box has been opened .

WildAngler

Post by WildAngler » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:34 pm

Phillip, I haven't responded because I simply had to return to Texas and handle a family emergency.

A couple of factual points, since you haven't taken the trouble to understand local fly anglers' traditional use of the rivers:

The Cattle Flat to Nokomai Gorge beat can handle four rods a day. If fished every single day of the season, with no rest, that would be 784 angler days a year. (4 anglers x 7 days x 28 weeks = 784 angler days.) That is far from the ideal way to manage the river. It would be better to figure in resting it half the time, as trout that are fished over that much hide during the day, become nocturnal and thus won't feed or spawn optimally. I'd defer to fisheries biologists, but let's guestimate it at 390 angler days a year.

What you're still asking for, though reduced, would be more than the trout could take. It would also allow you to dominate the fishery and use it beyond the environmental or social or economic capacity. 20 excursions a year of 14 anglers who might spend the night (thus 2 days) would be 616 angler days a year. You might claim you would never use it that much. But if granted that right, you'd be legally allowed to exclusively capture the Mataura's most remote section. The sad fact of the matter is that Southland Fish and Game haven't calculated that section's carrying capacity of angler days.

Whenever governments acknowledge how finite natural resources are--whether you're talking about water allocations, paua, snapper or angler days--if they are proceeding in a fair, common sense way, they look at traditional or historical use first, especially if it's sustainable, with new applications--especially new proposals incompatible with existing ones--going to the back of the line.

As far as guides not having proper resource consents for area rivers, their guiding activity historically predates the Southland District Council's current plan.

You threatening the area's historic stakeholders undermines the idea that your proposal is sustainable or good for the majority. You have better alternative locations for a rafting business, and many of us would welcome and help you if you shifted the proposed location to the Waiau or Clutha, whose remote sections are wild, scenic and full of untapped potential.

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:19 pm

WildAngler wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:34 pm
The Cattle Flat to Nokomai Gorge beat can handle four rods a day. If fished every single day of the season, with no rest, that would be 784 angler days a year. (4 anglers x 7 days x 28 weeks = 784 angler days.) That is far from the ideal way to manage the river. It would be better to figure in resting it half the time, as trout that are fished over that much hide during the day, become nocturnal and thus won't feed or spawn optimally. I'd defer to fisheries biologists, but let's guestimate it at 390 angler days a year.

What you're still asking for, though reduced, would be more than the trout could take. It would also allow you to dominate the fishery and use it beyond the environmental or social or economic capacity. 20 excursions a year of 14 anglers who might spend the night (thus 2 days) would be 616 angler days a year. You might claim you would never use it that much. But if granted that right, you'd be legally allowed to exclusively capture the Mataura's most remote section. The sad fact of the matter is that Southland Fish and Game haven't calculated that section's carrying capacity of angler days.
Whilst this is hardly in my back yard there does seem to be some mis-information here, as Southland Fish and Game opposed the Nokomai to Cattle flat operation:
Dave wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:28 am
Hi Johnno. This matter was dealt with in a public excluded session so there is no detail in the F&G meeting minutes. I can assure you that F&G did not endorse the operation on the Mataura from Nokomai or the operation on the Waikaia. There was little concern about the operation on the lower Mataura.
Dave

WildAngler

Post by WildAngler » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:26 am

Andy:

To what misinformation are you referring? Mr Joostens still wants 20 overnight outings a year of two rafts on the Nokomai to Cattle Flat section. The public has indeed been excluded from the discussion. Many anglers rightfully feel Southland Fish and Game has betrayed their interests and prematurely announced their decision without a democratic or scientific process. Couple that with the consistent pro-dairy and pro-development stance of local councils and the National Party's erosion of the public notification requirements, and these factors explain why grubby mismanagement threatens the area's rivers and aquifers. When will local authorities ever learn the most basic idea of sustainability?