Effective Presentation--Undercut Banks

Discus tips on techniques, styles and tactics here
StreamWalker

Effective Presentation--Undercut Banks

Post by StreamWalker » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:03 pm

After many days of trying different techniques--in an attempt to sort out a method that works best--I'm struggling to determine the most effective way to present a nymph to trout hiding against the undercut bank along the outside of a bend. Most of these fish I have not been able to sight before spooking them when I'm on the same bank.

I've tried the following with noted results:
(1) Casting across and upstream from the inside of the bend. This usually results in a very short drag-free drift as the fly is pulled away from the bank by the line in the fast current. Even my best curve cast or aerial mend can't solve it very effectively.
(2) Short casts upstream from the same side have often spooked fish--except occasionally when I'm able to sight the fish. But usually when I try to sight a fish as it's hugging the bank, I'm right on top of it and it sees me as soon as I see it.
(3) Downstream (blind) presentation seems to be the most effective technique--at least for my skill set. Often I make a short cast down-and-across, then let it swing toward the bank in a classic wet-fly fashion. Then I'll twitch and let line play out to drift it downstream along the bank for another 5m or so. Then move a few meters downstream and repeat. I've had success this way, but I'd like to think others have found other, better techniques as well.

I'm interested in hear your experiences and results. I've watch too many nice fish swim away from their holding spot....

Steve
Site Admin

Re: Effective Presentation--Undercut Banks

Post by Steve » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:03 pm

Good question Luke, as they can be very difficult, and any over hanging grass is there to catch your flies too. It needs a slack line type presentation, so the flies aren't immediately dragged away, someone once showed me a cast where your leader lands in a reverse open U shape, the curve of the U being upstream and the flies trailing downstream, takes a lot of practise, but seems to work when you land it on target

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:25 pm

Yep can work Steve. Basically you over accelerate your forward cast so it bounces back down stream. I know Carl McNeill did one as part of his "Casts that catch fish" DVD. I'll see if I can find a link to that.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:27 pm

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

StreamWalker

Post by StreamWalker » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:34 pm

Thanks Guys. Appreciate the quick responses. Casting skill is a never-ending journey...

Jaapie

Post by Jaapie » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:39 pm

Great link Fraser.

Something that I have found to also work well in these situations is a dry with a short dropper fished close to the banks.
The undercurrent seems to almost drag the (dry) fly into the bank with the result that the nymph sort of gets closer as well.

Getting a drag free drift is tough if just prospecting, but quite possible if you have sighted a fish and only need a meter or so drift to cover it.

@Steve - do you have a link to the cast/drift you are talking about for the reverse open U shape?
Sounds very interesting.

Kev

mmunio3

Post by mmunio3 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:32 pm

Roll cast, side cast all spey types of cast are good check some videos on yt
like this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=186oH_HjfZk

Mario
https://Minkafly.com