Knot strength vs. time efficiency

Discus tips on techniques, styles and tactics here
Nathanf

Knot strength vs. time efficiency

Post by Nathanf » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:14 am

Hey guys,

Just watched a fink a hd gasoline video on a quick way to tie a clinch knot, and it was very fast. So fast it seems appealing to no longer use my preferred uni knot in exchange for a super handy clinch knot,not the locked clinch, just the clinch knot.

This is wrestling against my common belief that a uni knot maintains between 80-90% tippet breaking strain, against the clinch knot which is just 50% of tippet strength, to my knowledge. If that is correct, with my standard 5lb tippet and a clinch knot, my fly will break with an excess of 2.5lbs of pressure from either me, or the fish.

Is the "percentage of tippet strength maintained" a real thing, or not such a big deal?

Is it worth spending less time tying, and more time fishing, or more time tying and less time fishing because when you have a fish on your likely to land it without it breaking off?

What's the consensus of the wisdom and experience of you lot? Cheers

Boisker

Re: Knot strength vs. time efficiency

Post by Boisker » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:14 pm

Hey Nathan
I've never really used the clinch knot, I did use the improved clinch knot but moved over to the uni knot ages ago. The only time I use the improved now is if it's nearly dark and I can't see well enough for the uni.
I reckon you get pretty quick with most knots, the uni is quick once you're used to it, which I'm sure you are. For the extra few seconds it takes I'd rather not run the risk with the reduction in knot strength.
Matt

Chris Dore

Post by Chris Dore » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:28 pm

I personally use the improved clinch knot for pretty much all dries and nymphs, and most streamers. It can be tied in seconds with practice and I'm very confident of its strength.

Chris Dore
Queenstown
www.chrisdore.com

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:04 pm

I'm with Chris on this!!

Although I'm still in a conundrum over my leader to tippet knot. I like the double uni, as its easy to tie but iv had quite a few let go lately. The surgeons iv not had much luck with. It can be super strong, or uber weak. The blood knot iv found really good, but a real pain in the ass to tie out on the stream. Anyone found a good option?

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:15 pm

With you on the blood knot... I'm terrible at it stream side but came across the figure of eight knot which is a really straight forward knot and very strong. I find it slightly bulkier than the blood knot but I'm happy with that compromise streamside as it's quick and reliable. With a pair of hemostats it's even easier, but I can't find the link for that video.
http://dryflyexpert.blogspot.co.uk/2013 ... -knot.html

Looking back I moved away from the improved clinch knot after a couple of break offs and pig tails a little while after I started fly fishing about 4 years ago. At the time I read it had a lower knot strength and moved to the uni, but having since gone back to it when needed (generally low light or pouring rain) I haven't had a problem, so no doubt more down to poor tying after a twenty year break from any form of fishing. The fact that Chris and Fraser find it copes well with your oversize ' fish in NZ only really confirms this..... even a simple knot can be poorly tied. I don't get problems with either now, I guess you get in the habit of using a knot and the uni is pretty quick to tie although I do need more tippet to work with than when typing the clinch.

ziffle

Post by ziffle » Fri May 08, 2015 3:58 pm

Lately I've been using the 16-20 knot (or Pitzen knot) which I tie using forceps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vELpoiNAHr0

It's really quick and super strong and now it's the only fly to tippet connection I use

murfm

Post by murfm » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:32 pm

I have to the straight clinch knot after several improved clinch knots came undone and after a trip with a Taupo guide who only ever uses the clinch knot.
I have also started using the UNI knot but it isn't as easy to tie with old eyes and cold fingers!
murf

murfm

Post by murfm » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:33 pm

I have to the straight clinch knot after several improved clinch knots came undone and after a trip with a Taupo guide who only ever uses the clinch knot.
I have also started using the UNI knot but it isn't as easy to tie with old eyes and cold fingers!
murf

ElkHairEmerger

Post by ElkHairEmerger » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:33 pm

If you want speed, try the penny knot. It is strong, too. I like to keep it simple with a double clinch for most terminal applications. If I am using a team of flies I lock down the knot and leave a small loop. This is handy if you miss a take as you can check the knots to identify which fly was attacked. The knot tightens down onto the eye of the hook.
For most connections of leader and tippet, I use a triple surgeon's knot. Much smaller than blood knots and the like and runs through guides smoothly.
Elk Hair Emerger

murfm

Post by murfm » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:03 pm

I use the triple surgeons knot for joining leader to tippet and for droppers. so far none have broken!