Best spot with a 10-year-old

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
TunaJim

Best spot with a 10-year-old

Post by TunaJim » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi all,

I’m in Sydney and keen to come over the NZ to chase some trout. I’ll be travelling with my 10yo son who doesn’t fly fish (yet) but is good with a spin rod. Looking for recommendations for river fishing locations with him where we will get into some fish (I know this means just about any river in NZ, which is why I need help narrowing it down!)

Looking for somewhere within a two-hour drive of one of the international airports. I’ve been recommended to fly into Queenstown and fish the Waiau or Oreti rivers.

Any other thoughts? Or should I be looking at the North Island?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

fraser hocks

Re: Best spot with a 10-year-old

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:32 pm

Yeah, pop down to Te Anau and head out for a day with the team at Fiordland Outdoors! A top outfit who will make your day a day to remember. They will put your son onto some fantastic spin fishing and you won't miss out on some equally amazing fly fishing.

Trust me, you can't go wrong with them. It's some amazing fishing that most Kiwis haven't caught onto yet.

https://www.fiordlandoutdoors.co.nz/

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

fraser hocks

Re: Best spot with a 10-year-old

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:14 pm

I forget to mention that they run jetboats on the upper Waiau. Almost no sandflies to worry about, huge number of fish. Hell your son will love the boat ride alone (as will you).

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!