should I pack my simms waders? or focus on ultralight and wet-wading options?

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
John Revolver

should I pack my simms waders? or focus on ultralight and wet-wading options?

Post by John Revolver » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:25 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a 1-2 year working visa lined up and my number 1 focus will be Fly Fishing NZ. I am arriving from British Columbia in February. I want to ask the forum about the wading situation for NZ.

I know wet wading is extremely popular in NZ and I am wondering should I bother to pack my previous generation simms G3 waders? or should I focus on ultralight options like wet-wading and patagonias ultralight packable waders?

I want to keep the weight and bulk down as much as possible. I am landing in February and will be in NZ for the year , mabey 2 depending on how it goes.

any input is very appreciated! thanks

fraser hocks

Re: should I pack my simms waders? or focus on ultralight and wet-wading options?

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:24 pm

Bring them!

Really it's a heard one to answer. Its a bit like me saying I'm coming to America, will I need waders? As I'm sure your well aware, it all depends on where you are and what time of year.

In NZ you can be in Auckland bathed in sun wearing shorts and t-shirts and still hot, while down here in Queenstown we are under a foot of snow and well below zero.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

canuck

Re: should I pack my simms waders? or focus on ultralight and wet-wading options?

Post by canuck » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:40 am

Bring them, there will be days that you are glad that you have them. I bring a pair each trip and use them most trips and I am only there during the summer.

Canuck

John Revolver

Post by John Revolver » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:55 am

done! ok I'll pack the G3s and I'll skip the purchase on those patagonia ultralights. Thanks for the inputs much appreciated!

scott1418

Post by scott1418 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:41 am

For sure bring them and remember that felt bottoms are not allowed in NZ. I have used the Korkers with the lug sole and they are fine plus easy in and out with the auto lacing system. As for wet wading it certainly can be done but I have had some very large curious eels come up and nibble on my waders so pay attention. :o You are one lucky dude to be there for a year. I have been twice and planning a trip back in March 2020 for some Heli fishing.