First Trip to NZ

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
Rjelkin

First Trip to NZ

Post by Rjelkin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:01 am

I am planning my first trip to NZ with my wife and will be on a tour of the North Island which concludes in Napier. I am a novice flyfisherman with a diagnosed addiction to bonefish and permit. Looking for advice regarding guide/lodge/logistics for the first week of March. I will have 3 or 4 days to work with. Water levels, time of year etc. I plan to fly back to the States from Aukland and would love to stay in a place where my wife would have activities to keep herself occupied. Too much to ask?

scotish wildfisher

Re: First Trip to NZ

Post by scotish wildfisher » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:02 am

Your final destination Napier is ideal place to plan a fishing trip with plenty of activities for your wife.When I did my first trip to the mohaka river from Napier my wife enjoyed an art deco tour along with the antique and coffee shops.I would also recommend a wine tour.We also did a wine tasting with a simulated helicopter trip over the wine growing regions.Concerning the fishing I would definitely advise hiring a guide for learning technique and taking you to the best beats on the best rivers (there are many in this area).The big fishing shops are good for advice and guides although you prob want to book in advance. James
ps some other areas such as parts of the west coast are good for fishing but not so good for partners on their own for the day.