worth the expense?

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
scotish wildfisher

worth the expense?

Post by scotish wildfisher » Thu May 31, 2018 10:01 pm

Hi just wondering if I can get some advice about a wilderness trip.I am coming to NZ for my last trip for a while and fancied fishing somewhere special. I usually base myself around napier and have fished the upper mohaka and ruakituri and rangitiki but has anyone had much experience of the upper rangitikei.I would need to find a buddy and book a helicopter but is it worth the extra expense.I would normally walk in for this type of trip but Id lose 3 days.one to walk in,one to walk down the river and one to walk out.Would I get a similar big fish experience walking up the nearby Ngaruroro without the expense?

fraser hocks

Re: worth the expense?

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:15 am

Depends what your after. If its the experience of being in a remote location, with complete reliance on you and who ever your there with, then its always worth it. There is something very special about being completely out of contact with the rest of civilization. Its a sensation you can't get any other way, and I relish every moment I get out there.

If your just chasing big fish and that's all you want then, just stick to spots like the Ngaruroro. Being remote definitely does not guarantee big fish, and if you go remote with the expectation that being in a remote location will mean lots of big fish then your almost defiantly going to be disappointed.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:28 am

I would honestly skip the upper Rangiteiki mate, it's not what it used to be, gets hammered by guides (god knows why!) and the fish are VERY tricky in general, if you think you're at the top of your game, you'll do ok, but there are far better rivers round the central NI IMO. The Ngaruroro is an excellent river, but that too has declined in both fish size and numbers somewhat.

scotish wildfisher

Post by scotish wildfisher » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:01 pm

ok thanks I will keep my options open