1 year working holiday visa devoted to fly fishing- what rods to bring?

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
John Revolver

1 year working holiday visa devoted to fly fishing- what rods to bring?

Post by John Revolver » Tue May 29, 2018 9:02 pm

Hello NZ fly fishing forum!

My Name is John. I am a avid fly fisherman and Steelheader from Vancouver BC. I

i will be traveling down to New Zealand on a 1 year working holiday visa in October. My goal is to go 'all in' and 100% focus my time on the tourism/fly fishing/mountaineering industries and pick up any work available in these fields. I've been fly fishing and tying since 12 years old back in 1994.

I am curious about my rod selection to bring>>>>

So far I am planning to bring my 5wt single hand and a double hand trout spey. I like to have a dual set up on the river to quickly swap between the finess of the 5wt. and swinging streamers/intruders with the double handed troutspey.

I have heard you have Steelhead runs in the north Island. I am thrilled to hear this....Is it worth it for me to bring my 8WT doublehanded steelhead set up as well?.

Im Looking forward to contributing more questions to this forum . I will be having many more questions as my arrival date comes closer. I am super stoked! appreciate your replies!

Andy W

Re: 1 year working holiday visa devoted to fly fishing- what rods to bring?

Post by Andy W » Wed May 30, 2018 12:34 pm

Bring ‘em all!

We have a run in the Central North Island from Lake Taupo up the spawning rivers, and it is likened to a Steelhead run, especially by those that want to publicise the fishery. They are not as big as the Steelhead we see in pictures or on YT from the Northern Pacific or Atlantic – but the odd one goes 10 lb.

I have often thought that I should try a 5wt when fishing parts of the Tongariro or TT, but when you hook a big fish and it takes off downstream with you hanging on with a vice like grip to your 7wt, and then throws the hook or leaves you well and truly snagged (tactical trout), you think ”Nah – a 5wt wouldn’t even turn such a fish – or throw the nymph bomb to start with”.

The whole Taupo fishery is worthy of reading about and there several good books on the regions fisheries – "Volcanic Trout" being one which was recently reprinted. Its quite well known for large browns too especially between November and June at night and in times when the water flow is high and dirty.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Wed May 30, 2018 2:42 pm

Yip bring it all. I fish everything from a 7' 3# Bamboo to a 13'5" 8# double hander, and plenty in between. Id say a 9' 5# would be my main rod but most seem to prefer a 9' 6#. Plenty of situations that require the light finesse of a shorter light rod, and as Andy said, situations where a heavy rod with some backbone doesn't seem enough.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

John Revolver

Post by John Revolver » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:45 pm

Awesome thanks for the replies and the insights! I spent another October up here in BC steelheading and I may as well spend another christmas here with the family before I arrive so it's now a feb. arrival date. Seems like Taupo is the best place for action to start off with?

So far the arrows in the quiver will be:

9.0ft 5wt. fenwick eagle = finesse dry fly trout applications

10.0ft 7wt.Sage one single hand = nymph stick and single hand spey casting to swing streamers and hit tight pocket waters, drift single egg presentations ect.

13.6ft 8wt echo dec hogan 2 = doublehanded skagit spey to swing intruders for Steelhead and salmon

I think this should cover a year+ for all situations I encounter. I will be asking a lot more questions to this forum over the upcoming weeks.

My IG is @johnrevolver if anyone would like to follow and share theirs. thanks!