Advice during October-November 2018

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
JoeDaSoto

Advice during October-November 2018

Post by JoeDaSoto » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:42 pm

Hey there everyone,

Really excited to be part of this forum and to visit your beautiful country. I'm from Vancouver Island Canada and I'll be travelling to NZ at the end of October into mid November. We will be driving a 4x4 camper from the North to the South Island. I'm quite overwhelmed by all the different rivers and streams NZ has and I don't know where to start with my itinerary. I don't expect for anyone to give me their fishing spots, but I"m looking for advice on favourite areas/regions to fish in the North and the South island.

Thanks everyone!

Joe

Maniototoflyfisher

Re: Advice during October-November 2018

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi Joe - not sure if you've just been looking at maps but if you haven't got a trout fishing guide book for both north and south islands get them - what type of trout fishing do you enjoy most ? - blind fishing, stalking visible feeding trout, big or smaller waters? Where are you starting from and hoping to finish? Sounds like you've got 2 or 3 weeks so don't try to fish the whole country - give us some answers and hopefully we can help you further.

JoeDaSoto

Post by JoeDaSoto » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:19 pm

I
Maniototoflyfisher wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:37 pm
Hi Joe - not sure if you've just been looking at maps but if you haven't got a trout fishing guide book for both north and south islands get them - what type of trout fishing do you enjoy most ? - blind fishing, stalking visible feeding trout, big or smaller waters? Where are you starting from and hoping to finish? Sounds like you've got 2 or 3 weeks so don't try to fish the whole country - give us some answers and hopefully we can help you further.
Hey,

I enjoy stalking visible trout. If I had to choose, I would choose smaller waters since its something I've never done. I've just seen lots of pictures of small streams with beautiful mountain backdrops in New Zealand and it gets me so excited. We're starting in Auckland, and planning to first fish in the Taupo region, then travelling to the South Island to fish the Nelson region. Definitely considering hiring a guide for a day since we won't be able to afford multiple days with a guide.

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:23 am

Hi Joe - haven't done much fishing in the areas you are targeting, but as Steve mentioned in a recent post, consider some of the feeder creeks/streams that run into the Waikato river on your way to Taupo. You'll need to get a guide book or Fish and Game pamphlets ( usually available in tackle shops or online ) to get details. Lake Taupo has plenty of streams running in with easy access. The Nelson area could be best with a Guide - book early. Have fun!

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:50 am

It's early days but many of the rivers and streams in NW Nelson took a real hammering in Cyclone Gita to the point where one stream probably doesn't exist as a trout stream any more. I'd suggest you do your homework if thinking about coming to Nelson...

JoeDaSoto

Post by JoeDaSoto » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:52 pm

Thank you everyone!

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:24 am

Not only Nelson either, I got a look at some Mid Canterbury foothill streams in the weekend, and they will be a long time recovering.