Drought / Heat Spell?

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
Idaho1994

Drought / Heat Spell?

Post by Idaho1994 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:45 am

Hi All,

Planning a visit from the US for Late Feb / early March, and am hearing that the hot conditions have made fishing on the South Island tough recently. Is there anywhere that is immune from this? Any updates or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Johnno

Re: Drought / Heat Spell?

Post by Johnno » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:16 am

The higher up the waterway the colder the water. I was training with my partner this past W/E for the Coast to Coast race she's competing in and we were high up a waterway and went for a recovery swim after a quiet 30 km mountain run... the water was freezing despite the high air temps... incentive for not falling out of a kayak the next day....

So yeh go higher up the rivers

Or fish early or late in the day. Bring a thermometer and when the water reaches 20 degrees stop fishing. That's the lethal temp for most trout and C and R can mean the death of a fish at those temps

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:32 am

Fingers crossed things might resolve themselves in the next few days also. Forecasters are saying a serious cold front is on its way in bringing heavy rain and cold temps. Could be just what we need right now? Everyone I speak to is over this heat, and ready for a cool change.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Idaho1994

Post by Idaho1994 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:04 am

Ok, from what I have read it sounds like the tough conditions are concentrated in Southland / Otago. Is this the case? Would you recommend targeting rivers on the West Coast or in Nelson instead? Have a lot of flexibility in planning as I'll be in New Zealand for about a month. Thanks so much for the advice!

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:55 am

Nelson - Marlborough is just as hot and rivers just as low. We are expecting a storm this week that'll be a good fillup. Time will tell if the hot temps will return after that. It'll be a bit of a lottery as to where to go given that traditionally January to March are our hottest and driest months anyway. FWIW I live in Nelson area and have stopped fishing the low lands in the meantime as the water temps are hovering around and at the 20 degree mark

Idaho1994

Post by Idaho1994 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:27 pm

Got it, really appreciate the intel!!

Tight lines.