Maruia River

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
Tehuringa

Maruia River

Post by Tehuringa » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:20 pm

G'day,

I'm over visiting fro the West island visiting my parents in Nth Canterbury.

Thinking of heading out with my dad to fish the Maruia River next week and tributaries the Warrick and Rappahannock Streams.

Anyone have any site specific recommendations for access and flies and also what is the access like for the Rappahannock?

Many Thanks

Cheers

TH

Brown Trout Stalker

Re: Maruia River

Post by Brown Trout Stalker » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi TH

We don't like to talk about rivers on this forum.
Too many "flies on the wall" :D :D

We are happy to talk about areas.

I have fished the 3 river mentioned and i always LIE about how successfull or unsuccessfull i am on any river :lol: :lol: :lol:
Meaning i have one answer to any question on how i went today = " Caught nothing and Saw nothing" ;) ;)

Alot of us spend many hours seaching and exploring rivers and we are not willing to give up any information about them.

An analagy to compare. If you were a Gold prospector and you found a 4 ounce lump of Gold, would you tell anyone where you found it?
I'll bet noughts to 1,000,000 that you wouldn't.

Part of the game of Fly Fishing is finding out about the rivers yourself.
I moved here 5 and a half years ago, without askign anyone for advice and enjoy exploring the locations more so.
Hopefully you will too.

tight lines

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

pomscott

Re: Maruia River

Post by pomscott » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:38 am

That is so true and yet so sad. I'm in the west highlands of Scotland, we don't have the pressure that you do but still there is the need for caution, there is surprisingly good wild fishing here and it has to be protected. When asked about fishing opportunities I need to check people out face to face, maybe offer accompaniment. That offer is open to folk from anywhere in the world but I need to be convinced first, great friends have been made on that basis. Similarly, I have spent a month or two in NZ for each of the last twenty years, finding my own way to trout north and south. In the process I have met anglers who in due course have shared knowledge which I have never abused. Also similarly, some have become firm friends. Must it always be a closed shop, regardless?