Fishing buddy Based near Motueka February & March 2018

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
Fishkevfish

Fishing buddy Based near Motueka February & March 2018

Post by Fishkevfish » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:15 am

I am seeking a local fishing buddy to share some fishing experiences in the Tasman district. My schedule is very flexible. If any interest please reach out.

Kevin Wanecke

Johnno

Re: Fishing buddy Based near Motueka February & March 2018

Post by Johnno » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:49 am

You may wish to reconsider your fishing locations as we are in the middle of a very hot dry period at the top of the south. Rivers are very low and warm which means it'll be very hard fishing during the day. The water temps during the day already mean that any fish you do catch will be fairly stressed and may poss die if played too long. I usually stop fishing by Feb for a month or so for that very reason. This year I've stopped 6 weeks early......

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:54 am

Same in and around Christchurch, I have pulled the pin on our local streams until March at least. While the main braided rivers hold up, the sight fishing opportunities are not there so much.

Fishkevfish

Post by Fishkevfish » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:31 am

Thank you for update. Sad situation. Hope for improvement in march.

wee1

Post by wee1 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:47 pm

Sent a private message to you Kevin

chdale

Post by chdale » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:10 am

Kevin,
I'm currently in the Christchurch area and also looking for a fishing buddy. Let me know what your plans are and we can try to meet up.
-Hayden

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:49 am

yea things aint in a good way with all this heat for sure. I fished a high county river on the weekend that is usually icy cold. It was tepid :oops:

I didn't have a temp gauge on me but id suggest even a couple of more degrees higher and we are going to see some huge fish kills.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:35 pm

I hate it when you get a season like that Fraser, you really have to question yourself where is suitable to fish.
At the start of the fishing season in the U.K. last year my local rivers were already at late August levels... I completely stopped fishing some stretches that became really shallow... there just wasn’t enough refuges for the fish. Luckily it’s rare it stays dry al year in the U.K. and we did have enough rain through the summer to stop it getting dangerously bad.
It’s done nothing but rain for the last 2 months so we should be ok the star5 for this season :D

ziffle

Post by ziffle » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:33 am

I took my dog for a walk down to a large local river yesterday, normally he will have a drink and carry on but this time he just went in to his belly and stood in the cool water. I decided I'd get in with him and I was surprised at how easy it was to get under the (not very cold) water. I figured that if it's warm enough to swim in comfortably then it's probably too warm to fish in