Visit Nelson Area

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
Welshmike

Visit Nelson Area

Post by Welshmike » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:28 am

Hi Everyone.
I am from Wales and have visited NZ on a number of occasions mostly in the Southland. This time I am trying my luck in the Nelson area siting myself in the Motueka Valley late Nov into Dec..
Have fished Patagonia ( Chile ), Tasmania and Montana in the last 12 mths and have maps & books if anyone wants to visit those areas ( Free before you ask )
Can give advise on Wales, Scotland and Ireland and one try in Roscoe near New York.
My request is for any general advice anyone can give me on where and how. Do not want to spend 15 days finding out mistakes.
I also note that there are no shops in that area selling flies ( so no advice ) and no advice on a reasonably priced guide.
Any help would elicit the usual show of gratitude over dinner in a bar.
Tight Lines
Mike :?:

Johnno

Re: Visit Nelson Area

Post by Johnno » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:51 am

Probably too late to book a guide. They get bookings fairly early. Google flyfishing guides in Nelson region and maybe you'd find one.

There are a couple of fairly good guidebooks you can buy

http://www.flyshop.co.nz/product/sfg.html

Being one of them. That'll tell you what you need to know.

No Flyshop's in Motueka. Hunting - Fishing shop in Nelson. Just bring generic flies like GRHE, PTN, other general caddis and mayfly nymphs all beaded and unbeaded, some with good weight in them. Dries like Adams, EHC... those sort of flies in sizes 10 to 18. Trout are not overly fussy here, presentation is the key.

If you've fished in NZ before you'll know the flies. They don't change much around the country.

Eric_the_king

Post by Eric_the_king » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:59 pm

PM me if you want details of a good guide who I've fished with in that region. He's not as high profiled as some of the guides down that way, but a great bloke and top guide nonetheless.

From my experience of fishing in that region (only once a year for the past 6 years) you'll need long leaders and light tippets. As Johnno says presentation is key. A lot of the rivers hold great fish, but they can be few and far between. Good fish spotting skills are a must for sure.

Erik Moller

Post by Erik Moller » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:16 am

Hi Mike,

I'm from Denmark and have fished NZ SI quite a bit over the years.
Not much experience from Nelson, as I've only been there a few times many years ago.
I would say from that very modest experience and what I know from a friend, is this:
Low land rivers fishng/flies would be much like what you have experineced in Southland, hatch driven rivers and small imitative flies.
In the back country, you can get away with fishing bigger attractor flies.
Gone are the days when Kiwi´s give away their favourite rivers online, and I can understand why. They are experiencing increasing fishing pressure, certainly in some areas. But as you see , they are great guys carrying on the fine Kiwi tradition.

I have been fishing Montana/Wyoming once and Chilian Patagonia a few times many years ago. Would be interested in knowing what it's like on DIY basis these days.
Also been to Ireland way back and enjoied it.
Might wanna revisit some of the above, so a general feedback would be much appreciated.
PM me if you want general recommendations on places to stay, etc in other NZ regions I know of. Also of course any advise I can give you on Denmark or limited in general Scandinavia, if you ever wanna go that way.

Rgds, Erik

andrewa

Post by andrewa » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:49 pm

Pretty well everywhere has fush. I agree about guides. Years ago I had some really great times with Tony Entwistle, who taught me so much I no longer need a guide, but I'd love to fish with him again, just to prove to him what a great teacher he was.

The Buller provides great and easily accessed fishing, the Wairau , which is paralleled by a road for most of its length has some huge fish in it. I think you could fish pretty well anything in the area, and have a great time. I wish I lived in NZ.

iank2

Post by iank2 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:14 am

you can get a map from Fish and Game ( Champion Road , Richmond) , or possibly the Hunting and Fishing shop in Richmond, which will show most of the angler access spots in the region. If any of the rangers are at F and G when you go there they will point you to the areas that are fishing well otherwise the Motueka river is a good start place.