Fishing rules & regs am I OK?

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
Howard61

Fishing rules & regs am I OK?

Post by Howard61 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:10 am

Hi guys.

My name is Howard from England and we will be visiting your country for four weeks to follow the Lions tour. (Can't wait)! :D

We are renting a motor home to travel around and I hope to be able to do a bit of fishing whilst we are there.

We've quite a hectic schedule so will only be able to manage a few hours fishing on a few days.

I've researched quite a bit as far as rules and regs etc are concerned but would be really grateful if someone would be good enough to have a look through the following points to see if I have missed anything?

I don't want to breach any fishing rules or upset anyone!

This is what I have found so far:

I can buy a 24 hour permit online for general fishing. I realise this does not allow me to fish in back country areas but that's fine.

If I want to fish the Taupo area then I need an extra permit?

I enjoy fly fishing here, but don't have a travel fly rod. I was thinking of using my telescopic spinning rod to do lure fishing, particularly as it's your winter there.

Here, treble hooks are pretty much standard but I understand there are some areas where they are not allowed in NZ. For that reason I'll either buy the lures over there or change any trebles to single hooks?

Catch and release is pretty common here with a limit on the amount of fish you can keep. If I'm lucky enough then It'd be great to keep the odd trout for eating. Are there any size limits or restrictions regarding this?

One place I particularly hope to fish is Lake Tarawera outlet campsite, as we are staying there for a couple of days. Are there any restrictions on when and where I can fish.....looked on the website but it was a bit confusing? :?

Realise I've asked loadsa questions but would be really grateful for any help/advice. :)

Thanks in advance, Regards, Howard

Eric_the_king

Re: Fishing rules & regs am I OK?

Post by Eric_the_king » Wed May 31, 2017 8:14 am

Hi Howard,

You should be able to find most information you're after here www.nzfishing.com.

A lot of rivers are closed to fishing now and don't reopen until 1 October. The taupo rivers are open all year though and it's a great time to be fishing them. I would be fishing the rivers over the lake this time of year for sure. They are fly fishing only though and you need a separate licence to fish this area. Day and weekly licences are available. If you wanted to fly fish there though you could easily hire a rod and reel combo from one of the tackle stores. Turangi on the southern shore of lake taupo is a great place to base yourself for a few days.

I can't speak much for lake Tarawera as i don't fish that area. I'm sure someone else can chip i with a bit of info.

all the best

Charlie

Howard61

Post by Howard61 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:59 am

Thanks for that info Charlie!

Brown Trout Stalker

Post by Brown Trout Stalker » Wed May 31, 2017 3:26 pm

Howard
The best bet is get onto the Fish n Game website and you can down load the North Island Fishing Rules and Regulations.
I wouldn't trust just using www.nzfishing.com. , as it's not always up to date.

tight lines

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.