In country a couple of days

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
Boisker

In country a couple of days

Post by Boisker » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:18 pm

And fishing tomorrow :D
Stopped off for a coffee at the top of lake Dunstan coming down from Lindis pass, ended up having a quick fish as there were fish jumping all over the place..
I'd guess rainbows around the 1 lb mark, but they were just out of reach.... in part due to a nightmare back cast, pretty much a steeple cast and overall over enthusiasm and excitement :D
Then spent 40 mins casting to a couple of larger cruising browns 4lb'ish... they showed some interest but I couldn't get a take... not something I've any experience of, so maybe next time..
Now sat in a campervan in Queenstown, slightly sunblasted and feeling rather lazy after eating the mother of all on the bone steaks and quaffing some rather nice sav....
life's pretty good
you've got a stunning country...

fraser hocks

Re: In country a couple of days

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:20 pm

Hey Matt, your in my neck of the woods? If your in town for a day or two il try and get away from work and show you some spots. Il PM you my mobile number. Got to work today and probably a bit of tomorrow morning, but im free on the weekend (although Sunday is meant to be wet again? :? )

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:49 pm

Hey Fraser
Just sent you a pm as I've only just picked up email again...
Unfortunately I'm pretty much booked for 4 weeks!!! Wife's 50th and to make matters less likely for sloping off she's got a stinking cold bordering on flu...
thanks for the offer, really great of you and hopefully I will be able to take you up on a future visit

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:03 pm

Well... it's been a interesting learning curve :D
I had a day out with Chris D, fantastic day, but my casting for most of it was horrendous... I think a mix of excitement and tension... I had a couple come off, one when aerial...lost one by not crossing the river quick enough to get downstream, a hook straighten and all inspite of the worst casting I've done in about 4 years...
But eventually it settled down and the fly started going where I wanted it, at the end of the day picked up this beauty.. 6.5lb

Then had a few short sessions on my own... blighted by poor weather and pretty awful fish spotting skills... trying to spot the 'smudge' against a stoney/pebble bottom is proving tricky. But have picked up a few small fish.

Today I was out with Hans up at the top of South Island, casting back online... much to my relief... Cicadas in full voice and decent weather...
'We' found 10 fish (for we read Hans :D )
Hooked 8
And netted 6

As Hans said about the fish below, we need to find his larger 'mate'.... we didn't this time, but the marks were mirrored on the other side so I'm guessing he was big :D

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:06 am

Good stuff, glad to see you're out there slaying a few, seems the weather may finally be playing ball! Keep ya line tight and keep us posted on your trip!

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:18 am

Nice work bro. Good to see you getting into a few.

Like you said Andrew, good to see the weather finally looking somewhat like summer. Me and the wife spent the weekend in the backcountry having a ball. Quest was to get the wife her first backcountry big boy. She managed to hook up a beauty, but unfortunately she got a little eager to get it in the net at the end of the battle and put too much pressure on.... pop :cry: Don't worry though I'm sure she will succeed later this season. 8-)

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Wacker

Post by Wacker » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:09 am

nice fish! There's definitely an art to smudge spotting :lol:

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:24 pm

Looks like an eel scar.... they are very similar to that.