Weather forecasting

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
Boisker

Weather forecasting

Post by Boisker » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:35 am

I know they can all be pretty hit and miss, but what's the best online weather forecast service for SI

fraser hocks

Re: Weather forecasting

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:16 am

This summer, no website is required. Forecast for the next three months is rain, light to heavy with strong winds that never ease. Temp... 2 at night with it struggling to get over 15 during the day.

No problem... you can thank me later with a beer :lol:

I was going to post the video here but cant figure it out, so here is a link to our local fishing club facebook site. A video of me and a mate trying to fish in the wind on Tuesday. Gives you an idea.

https://www.facebook.com/wakatipanglersclub/

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:31 am

AS YOU SAY - HIT & MISS . I TRY AND LINE 3 UP THAT AGREE WITH EACH OTHER .
THE ONE I FIND MOST RELIABLE FOR SMALL AREAS IS YR.NO
IT GIVES SHORT & LONG TERM FORECASTS . OFTEN THEIR TEMP IS AWRY BUT THEIR WINDS - SUN / CLOUD / RAIN ARE NORMALLY PRETTY GOOD . ITS MY GO TO CHOICE .
THIS SUMMER IF ITS NOT RAINING - ITS GOING TO AND IF IT IS - ITS GOING TO CONTINUE . ALWAYS FINE OVERNIGHT ;)

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:46 am

Forecast for this summer.... in the SI anyways

If it's not raining, it's about to...
If it's not windy, it will be soon

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:11 am

Outstanding clip Fraser :D
I'm pretty comfortable casting in the wind... but that's a whole new level :shock:

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:26 am

Yea it didn't drop below about 30kn all day. And that seems to be the norm this summer (Only people from Siberia would call this a summer)

Me and all my mates in the club are going stir crazy since we just cant seem to get out for a fish. That day me and my mate said screw it.. its better than sitting inside watching fishing movies. Felt shell shocked once we got home, from been in such strong winds all day long.

Usually by this point of the season iv spent at least 6 overnighter's in the back country and fishing. I haven't been once yet. :( Im beginning to thinking of writing the season off and just start getting ready for winter skiing?

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

rohat

Post by rohat » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:21 am

This is a sad sad story.
I'm coming from Canada on the 18th. I have my toes and fingers crossed things will turn spectacular just as I land.
:D
I will hang out around Hanmer for week two. Any suggestions on where to go for week 1? I'm thinking of heading towards Gore with a stop in Twizel. Thoughts????

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:58 am

I land on the 6th Rohat... so you could be out of luck!
I've always kept my weather expectations low, NZ weather is to similar to the UK's... mid 20C one day and then down to 12C the next.... 2 weeks of sun followed by 3 weeks of rain :D
I'll settle for not too much rain and the wind below 60 km/h, below 40km/h would be better... at 100 I think I'll buy a kite :D :D

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:38 am

Go with Tiddler's suggestion...I used to rely on the Tasman Sea pressure map on NZ Met and having a shortcut in my mobile bookmarks, but a quicker and just as reliable method is the weather app called YR.

Was talking to a bunch of farmers while sitting around the gas brazier and ignoring that "weather bomb" in our tents 2 weeks ago, and they put me onto it. Very reliable info - it picked the little variations variations between Glendhu Bay and Wanaka weather spot on.

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:59 am

yr.no is good because you can get forecasts for places that the met service doesn't cover. It is my go to forecast site and will give good detail including cloud cover. However it doesn't make the weather any better.
Dave