Weather forecasting

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
Boisker

Re: Weather forecasting

Post by Boisker » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:02 am

Cool... downloaded yr and also have shortcuts to weather wunderground and NZ met service....

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:10 am

Ah you cant go wrong anywhere on the South Island Ro. Get yourself a copy of John Kents guide to the south island and just read the relevant section for the area your staying in.

Heading through Twizle and down to Gore would be good, will have to move pretty quick as that's a fair bit of driving for a week. Your going to loose 2 days plus in drive time if you head all that way south. Still means you get to see some amazing country, but it will mean loosing those fishing days to days behind the wheel.

The country aroudn Twizle and Gore are both quite different but beautiful in their own ways. Twizle is high country plains. Mostly bigger rivers and of course the canals that produce world record size trout (but the canals are not exactly a back to nature experience). South in Gore (Southland) its more farming country and lowlands streams / rivers. Obviously the Mataura and other smaller rivers that usually get some good dry fly action. That been said the whole area has been in flood the last couple of weeks, with some areas cut of by flood. So id say the rivers will still be recovering right now and could still be by the time you get their?

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

T_T

Post by T_T » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:17 am

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:07 am

I hadn't seen the last one. Looks very useful.
Dave

rohat

Post by rohat » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:23 pm

fraser hocks wrote:Ah you cant go wrong anywhere on the South Island Ro. Get yourself a copy of John Kents guide to the south island and just read the relevant section for the area your staying in.

Heading through Twizle and down to Gore would be good, will have to move pretty quick as that's a fair bit of driving for a week. Your going to loose 2 days plus in drive time if you head all that way south. Still means you get to see some amazing country, but it will mean loosing those fishing days to days behind the wheel.

The country aroudn Twizle and Gore are both quite different but beautiful in their own ways. Twizle is high country plains. Mostly bigger rivers and of course the canals that produce world record size trout (but the canals are not exactly a back to nature experience). South in Gore (Southland) its more farming country and lowlands streams / rivers. Obviously the Mataura and other smaller rivers that usually get some good dry fly action. That been said the whole area has been in flood the last couple of weeks, with some areas cut of by flood. So id say the rivers will still be recovering right now and could still be by the time you get their?
thanks Fraser! i have John Kents book and that is half the problem....to many rivers to choose from! but your recap helps. With limited time I want to make good decisions but between Kents book and Nzfishing.com and rain and wind and fishing reports to much info makes it tough. I think I'll do what I usually do on my fishing trips....fish when i feel like it, sleep when I feel like it, keep moving when I feel like it. Kinda like Forest Gump when he did his run.

If there is anybody out there wanting to give this Canadian traveler some pointers I'll be landing in CC on the 20th and hopefully if I'm not to bagged after 23 hours travel will hit some river that late afternoon. ping me. beers on me.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:07 pm

If you get through Queenstown drop me a line Ro. We have some great beer's down this way, oh and the fishing ain't too bad either ;)

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

rohat

Post by rohat » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:55 am

fraser hocks wrote:If you get through Queenstown drop me a line Ro. We have some great beer's down this way, oh and the fishing ain't too bad either ;)
Thanks Fraser! Will do. nothing like local insight to enhance a trip. If I get blown away in Twizel I may get stuck there but plan right now is to make it to QT around 24th.