Raft / Float Fly Fishing Guide

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
roscobe

Raft / Float Fly Fishing Guide

Post by roscobe » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:06 am

Flying into Auckland early May and have 7 days to soak in some sites and spend a few days fishing. Anyone have a good raft / float fly fishing guide on the north Island they would recommend? What rivers and/or Lakes might provide the best fly fishing experience as well as scenery while fishing in early May?

Once I figure out where to fish I need to decide if renting a caravan or renting a small vehicle and staying in local hotels is a better option.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
Site Admin

Re: Raft / Float Fly Fishing Guide

Post by Steve » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:02 am

Jim Rainey who's down the bottom part of the NI is a great bloke, talk to him and see if he can fit you in http://www.flyfishingnz.co.nz/fly_fishi ... itikei.htm he has a neat rafting trip he does - good luck!

Whio

Post by Whio » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:59 am

The Mohaka River is well known for guided rafting trips. A quick google search should identify some guiding options or ask Garth Oakden from Tongariro River Rafting. He does solo guided rafting on several central NI rivers.

Some of my life I spend fly fishing, the rest I just waste!

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:57 am

You have to remember that floating rivers in NZ is a rarity. There are a couple about but most of our fishing here is done on foot and walking upstream.

Maybe look into where you fancy visiting and then get a guide for a day in the area? You will learn a lot about our local techniques for fooling our trout.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

roscobe

Post by roscobe » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:48 pm

After more research, I’ve come up with a solid plan. We’ve decided on a motorhome leaving form Christchurch April 30th and driving a loop via Arthers Pass -> Franz Josef Glacier -> Wanaka -> Te Anau -> Milford Sound -> Qeenstown -> Mt. Cook and back to Christchurch May 8th.

Anyone have any suggestions for campgrounds, holiday parks, freedom camps or DOC camps along our route that might provide easy access to fishing? Also, where might we find the best fishing along the way?

It appears most of the South Islands fresh water closes to fishing after April 30th leaving only a handful of other options along our route. I began reviewing the different regions fishing regulations via fishandgame.org.nz but was hoping there might another option that’s an easier read.

I’ll be traveling with my girlfriend and we are both avid fisherman and love to explore. Most of our fishing has been done from our sport fisher off the coast of Southern and Baja California. It wasn’t until moving to Colorado we picked up fly fishing 3 years ago, since then I been packing our fly rods on every trip. I’m thinking about bringing both fly and spinning setups and don’t mind soaking power bait if that’s what works and the girlfriend demands a fish meal.

I sense there may not be much time for fishing given our desire to see as much of the beautiful country as possible but if we can find camps/parking spots near some bodies of water I could easily get a few casts in before moving on.

I appreciate all the feedback. Thanks.

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:41 am

Yeah – just a tad late to enjoy the best of the fishing, because as you have already discovered most waters close April 30th. This is both about giving the brown trout fisheries a rest, and ensuring you don’t get shot on opening day of the duck shooting season on May the 1st…

On the coast Lake Brunner inland of Greymouth is open all year, and a good chunk of the West Coast rivers below State Highway 6 are open as well. Once you hit Wanaka south all of the lakes are open all year too.

Coming back the Waitaki Hydro lakes are open and Benmore would be well worth a flick along the edges as some of the best fishing down there is during the early winter months. And then there are the Hydro Canals around Twizel – these are another whole fishery on their own and worth a day, either with a fly rod for a monster, or with spinning (including soft bait) trying for an escaped salmon.

Others will no doubt offer advice as well.