Queenstown vs Taupo?

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
dxh

Queenstown vs Taupo?

Post by dxh » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:30 pm

Hey guys,

Been in NZ for a few weeks now and finally got to do some fishing in Taupo area and had a blast!! I love it here and would like to call this area home, however, I just got a good job offer in Queenstown. My question is where is a better place to river fish for trout? That's the whole reason I came to nz was to fish and work on the side and I'm wondering if I should stay in Taupo and look for work instead of go to Queenstown. Without knowing anything about the fishing down there its hard to make an informed decision. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Johnno

Re: Queenstown vs Taupo?

Post by Johnno » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:00 pm

Yup QT as a base for fly fishing is great but one issue fishing wise; The whole world wants to fish in the south and the pressure the Southland fisheries are under massive pressure, even the Mataura is creaking. Every year, every season, it gets worse. Something will give sooner or later. You may be better off staying in the CNI. The fishing is great, the summer fishing seriously underrated and imho as good as if not better than Southland in some fisheries. and a lot less pressure.

Oh and good luck finding affordable accommodation in QT.....

But hey, if the job is good, the money's ok and you can get a good place to live then it may be worth your while...

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:21 pm

Yea bro, hope the job offer pays you three times what they are paying you now as every last penny you earn will go on accommodation costs. Just check out the rent / purchase price and you will have the an easy answer.

Also as Johnno said the fishing pressure from Overseas angler's is ridiculous. Iv pretty much given up on trying to fish the Mataura middle of the season. I reckon that all the media talk about fishing down here brings the horde yet there are so many places in NZ that fish as well or better than this area.

Don't get me wrong I love it down here but I feel sorry for anyone trying to move down here.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:10 am

Johnno and Fraser are both bang on with their comments. I love the South Island, but the angling pressure gives me the $hits, so really only fish there in April. There is equally good fishing to be found in the north if you do your homework with far less pressure, in fact, many areas you will never encounter other anglers at all It's just not as scenic (but some areas I fish that is debatable as are just stunning), so doesn't receive the associated overseas angling pressure who want the whole shebang with snow-capped peaks and towering mountains... The browns and Bows the average size is on par with the south, but don't get to trophy proportions as often, the Ngonotaha being the exception as you'll never encounter so many double fish in a small stream anywhere in the country!

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:27 am

To put it into perspective DXH, down here last summer I did a day rangering on the Brightwater Spring creek. Its less than 400m long. I checked 12 licenses on that section. Only one was a local and that was a guide, guiding an Australian.

Oh and as said before there are a total of 18 properties for rent in Queenstown at the moment. That's not in a price range, that's an unlimited search. Hell Half of the locals have started moving to Cromwell and Kingston to try to save a penny, but the pressure is so much that now they are sky rocketing in price.

God I'm glad we bought a while back, or we would be getting to the point where we would have to consider leaving.

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:59 pm

I've heard from one RE agent that many in the game say "Auckland is a suburb of QT". it's got that bad price wise....

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:10 pm

Id say in some ways its worse that Auckland. In Auckland there is large variety so you do have cheaper options. Here not so.

Friends (a couple) just bought there first house. In a not so desirable locations and that cost them $870,000. They are buying but are having to taking on 3 flat mates so that they can cover their mortgage. One mate was living in a tent at a DOC camp site for 6 months as he couldn't find any accommodation at all. This isn't some lowlife scumbag. This is a guy in his mid 40ies with a solid job that he has had for many years.

dxh

Post by dxh » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:19 pm

Ugh sounds expensive and then some. I spent five days in qt and honestly it was beautiful but I couldn't wait to get out of there. Taupo is absolutely beautiful and exactly what I'm looking for. I'm headed south tomorrow from Auckland to qt to go to the interview unfortunatley I can't turn this opportunity down. Chance to make some real money here and after being here for two weeks I'm very short on cash. Thank you for the replies, I'll probably take the job in qt for now and continue to look for work in Taupo and move when the time is right. I'm used to heavy angler pressure being from southern ab, as long as I can get some fishing in I'll he happy for the time being. Sounds like i need to start putting out some more applications in Taupo!! What a great country and great fishing guys, us Canadians drool over the idea of coming here and now I'm here. Hey if anyone in the qt area is willing to ever take me out somewhere I would be more than happy to pay for gas and some beers ! Gonna be looking for some cheap used gear as well so if anyone has a rod reel combo or fly's or vest or waders or anything I need a whole set up and I don't much care if it's old has holes in it or is out of date. I just need to fish :) thanks again cheers!

skunk'd_again

Post by skunk'd_again » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:38 pm

Yep, dittoing the sentiments above. I haven't fished Q'town in about five years due to the angling pressure. I used to fish it every year in Dec/Jan between about 2007-2012 but during that period the angling pressure got worse every year, to the point where you'd find people fishing downstream in the middle of the day. One guy even told me "it's okay, cos I met a guide who did the same thing to me". Seems like you're more likely to meet people who don't respect the etiquette down there, as opposed to somewhere that tends to only attract the more dedicated anglers, like the coast. Dunno if it's an ignorance thing or a gloves off free-for-all type thing, suspect it's the latter.

You'd probably be better off to live in Taupo, fish there in the main season, save money, and then head down and fish Q'town for a couple of weeks late season, and take advantage of that extra month most of their rivers remain open for.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:02 am

Hey there Matt. Drop me a PM once your in town. Its a great spot down here and you would never drag me away from the place despite all the pressure and traffic wows we have. The mountains get into your blood and there is no way of getting rid of it. 8-)

Come join the local fishing club of which I'm the president. A great way to meet other local anglers. Regular trips away and we put on some great events. You just missed out on April Vokey been in town and giving us 2 days of her time to give us a two handed rod course. Check it out at our FB site.

https://www.facebook.com/wakatipanglersclub/
http://www.wakatipuanglersclub.co.nz/

I might even be able to help you out with some kit? We recently moved house and I'v decided to clear out some gear.