Mobile phone SI

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
Boisker

Mobile phone SI

Post by Boisker » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:14 am

Hey all...
I'll be getting a travel simm package, does it really matter which provider in terms of coverage across SI?

Boisker

Re: Mobile phone SI

Post by Boisker » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:09 am

Cheers mate... that's ideal, there's a vodaphone one for about $50 and 3gb info that should fit the bill nicely.

I don't think I'll get the chance to go properly off grid this time, but plan to return with friends in a few yrs when their kids have vacated the nest... would work nicely my better half can have a few days with our mate who was born near Gore and I can head off camping / trekking... so will remember the need for a PLB for that.

Whio

Post by Whio » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:59 am

Two sides to every coin. My mate has Telecom and I have Vodafone. He often has a signal out of town when I don't. I've heard others say the same from others in rural locations.

Some of my life I spend fly fishing, the rest I just waste!

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:25 pm

B/W & WHIO ARE RIGHT - I TAKE BOTH WITH ME IN THE HIGH COUNTRY . CHEAPIES !..... BUT THEY DO THE JOB . (if there is a signal to be found , I find it ) .. Al

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:14 am

Yea id go with Vodafone, but as Bush Wacker said, if you'r thinking of getting it for an emergency ... forget it.

I can only think of 2 rivers that I fish that I get proper mobile coverage. We live in very mountainous terrain so signal's get blocked by mountains a lot. Hell I live less than 6km from the center of town and I cant get the local radio station.

Get yourself a PLB or rent one if your intending on heading into up valleys on your own. WE loose plenty of people down this way every year in the back country!

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

C_Claycomb

Post by C_Claycomb » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:43 am

I got a Vodafone package when I visited last year. Never came close to using the data allowance. Used a different one in the US for three weeks, and managed only 300mb of data use.

Thing I found with the phone in New Zealand, if I hadn't had maps pre-loaded so that they did not need network coverage, I would not have had mapping satnav when I wanted it on a lot of the west coast and in the mountains. CityMaps2Go and View Ranger were worth paying for.

Kind of wish I had had a PLB. Didn't need one, but did find myself in a place where if I had slipped I would have needed it in a big way. Not having one made me more cautious and I probably missed out a bit as a result.

Chris

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:04 am

Yea good point Chris. Mapping software that requires mobile connection will be an issue for you.

Personally there are so few roads in my area that i know them all like the back of my hand so mapping for the car it is pretty much redundant.

I do however use New Zealand Topo Maps app. The pro version is about $13 and allows you to download and store specified areas of topo maps. Very handy indeed! The free version is pretty good. Its on the Google Play store, not sure about Apple or if its available their?

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:03 am

Cheers guys... the camper comes with a road atlas so paired with the phone (I'll download maps for areas as we progress around SI) I can't envisage any problems... when driving at worst we end up slightly lost for an hour or so, I won't have any where particular to be so I'll just chill out, retrace out steps and enjoy the views :D
We'll be careful when out walking, I work in the countryside/conservation sector, so can read maps well, won't be doing overnight treks and won't be taking any risks.... some fishing (riding for the other half), decent walks, sightseeing and may be a drop or two of some Kiwi Sav.... generally quite chilled :D

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:06 pm

Don't pass over the craft beers either... oh and we make some of the best Gewurtztraminer in the world. Seriously underrated here....

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:05 am

If by riding you mean mountain biking? Let me know when your down this way? ME and my wife both fish and mountain bike (single track) a fair bit around here. Some epic tracks around here!!! 8-)