North Island , Russell January

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
riverdance

North Island , Russell January

Post by riverdance » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:48 pm

I will be visiting the North Island in Russell in January. I am beginning to work through some online sources and guidebooks but I am hoping to get some information from anglers on this forum. I will be visiting for 2 weeks but my angling time may be limited to several full days so I hope to make the best of it. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I had a Kiwi and his wife visiting here recently in the US on a home exchange with us and he told me that his when he was a boy his Mother would tickle trout and then toss them onto the bank "she put many a trout on the table that way" he said. I was intrigued by this story but I plan on fly fishing and catch and release. She is from Rotorua, 92, and has offered to show me how its done. I can't wait.

Flogger

Re: North Island , Russell January

Post by Flogger » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:16 pm

Hmm, if you're hoping to fish for trout around Russell your options are very limited. You'd have far better prospects if you went saltwater fly fishing. If you're heading down to Rotorua after visiting Russell, then your chances of trout fishing improve considerably. Not sure about the legality of trout tickling, though.

upstream

Post by upstream » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:48 am

Yeah, I concur. Freshwater fishing prospects are rather limited up there. There are some streams around Kerikeri that hold trout. And they might be worth a look if you're in the area. But in midsummer they can heat up quickly and the fish will shut down. I would take a thermometer and check the water temps before even bothering to wet a fly. The Northland Fish and Game page lists some waters: http://northland.fishandgame.org.nz/con ... ons-access

Personally I wouldn't even bother with trout up there. Not with the great options for saltwater fly. Casting into the wash at any of the rocky points around Russell will get you into kahawai and maybe even snapper. Great fun.

riverdance

Post by riverdance » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:42 pm

Thanks very much for you thoughts on fishing prospects in the Russell area. I am looking into the Kai Iwi Lakes as a possibility although I am primarily a flowing water angler--I had a great time some years back shore casting to Yellowstone cutthroats so Kai Iwi so its not entirely out of my comfort zone. The Keri Keri streams sound like a good possibility and I'll be sure to bring that thermometer.

Guy

Post by Guy » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:57 am

Yep don't visit Northland - there are no fish here ;-)
fish.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

upstream

Post by upstream » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:58 pm

I see you caught the trout that lives in Northland :D
Seriously, well done. River or lake?

Guy

Post by Guy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:34 pm

that one lives in the Mangakahia river.