Where to fish???

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
single fly

Where to fish???

Post by single fly » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:53 am

coming to NZ in December 2015. If you only had time to fish one river or lake which one would it be???

Steve
Site Admin

Re: Where to fish???

Post by Steve » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:23 pm

If you don't have much time you should invest in a good guide and guarantee you don't miss out, there's good fishing around most of the country, and that doesn't necessarily mean in one of the named rivers, often getting off the beaten track will get you the best fishing, and I don't think anyone will want to name their favourite rivers or lakes on a public forum so you might not get much of a response to your question ;)

Kym

Post by Kym » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:09 pm

Very diplomatic response, Steve. :D

single fly

Post by single fly » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:53 am

thanks for the reply's, i understand peoples caution
but the amount of fishing in john kents book on the south island is staggering
hard to pick one

Wilki

Post by Wilki » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:05 pm

Ok so you've narrowed it to the South Island then... Still a bit vague, are you looking to be in any area in particular?.
It's a bit hard to define a plan so far out for a particular river as who knows what the conditions will be like then...
Look for an area that has a few rivers in closer proximity then you have options, Southland area or Murchison/ Reefton area both good to start looking?..

single fly

Post by single fly » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:45 am

Sorry! a bit new at this forum lark.
I am coming over to visit my sister for Christmas with my wife and father( 77). So its a family holiday with maybe a bit of fishing. Problem is how much fishing and for how long. I can fish the area around Christchurch - day trips and we will explore south island but with my sister as a guide and my father in tow. So I need info on which is the best area for use to guide her to. For the scenery, but mostly the fishing!

thanks for the info, anything else, glad of it.

Kym

Post by Kym » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:39 am

Mike makes a lot of very good points. If it's primarily a driving, family holiday then work out a rough itinerary and then start to break it down into possible fishing areas from there. You'll want to spend at least 2 + nights somewhere to have a chance of a decent fish while the others soak up the scenery. One popular route is across the Arthurs Pass from Christchurch and down the West Coast, then through Wanaka and Queenstown, Te Anau and Milford Sound and back up to Christchurch via Twizel and Mt Cook.
There's a number of places you can base yourself along the way that will keep everyone happy, including, but not limited to, Reefton and the other places mentioned.
kym

single fly

Post by single fly » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:10 am

Thanks very much Kym for your informative route. Funny enough it is the route that my sister and brother in law have roughly planned. We have stops in Wanaka, Queenstown, Te Anau and Gore..Is the Didymo ins Te Anau still a major problem and what about fishing there and then fishing else where? do you know? Is it in any other areas?

Thanks for your help.

single fly

Post by single fly » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:36 am

Can anyone help? John Kent's book talks about a proposed hydro electricity development on the Wairau river in the Marlborough area ...with tragic results (his words), can anyone tell me if this is the case ? thinking of fishing it before we head south.
Jim

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:17 am

Plenty of fishing in the Wairau - was a recent post in Pictures that mentions its fishability.

Pretty much any river in NZ that has a stable flow has fish in it, some more than others. Work out an itinerary and then put feelers out - there are a number of guides on the forum too.