South Island November 2024

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
ian1104

South Island November 2024

Post by ian1104 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:21 am

Hi all,

I will be visiting Auckland from North Wales for a wedding in November 2024. Our plan is to then fly from Auckland to South Island and travel for 3 weeks,. My itinerary is pretty flexible!

I have a few things that I'm hoping you can help with :

1. Recommended South Island guides. Locations can be quite flexible as we'll be touring different areas of South Island.

2. DIY fishing - any recommendations on rivers/areas etc that I may be able to tackle without a guide? Or even better, are there any local residents that would be kind enough to show me the ropes in exchange for a beer or 2 🍻

3. Tying list - what are the essential patterns that I should be tying? And am I ok bringing flies through customs?

4. Wading situation. Wading boots are quite large to fit in the suitcase - is wet wading ok?

Any help and advice greatly appreciated 🎣

mjl

Re: South Island November 2024

Post by mjl » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:19 pm

3. You do not need to go overboard on patterns. For nymphs, pheasant tails and hares ears are popular because they work but any of your “go-to” nymphs will work. Size (and weight) are more important than pattern. Tend toward small (#16 and 18) but carry some larger nymphs of varying weight (tungsten beads, oversize tungsten beads, beads plus lead, double tungsten etc) that will get down to the fish. For dries, blowfly humpies (#14 and 16), a mayfly emerger/dun pattern (#16 and 18), a spinner pattern (#16 and 18) and maybe a caddis. Probably to early for willow grubs and cicadas which are a high summer thing.

You will need to declare your flies and your other gear to customs who will check them. If your gear is clean and dry and flies are new you shouldn’t have any trouble.

4. Wet wading is fine if the weather is nice. If the weather is bad it can get very cold. In three weeks, you are likely to have a spell of bad weather. If you want or need to fish when the weather is bad, take waders.

Andy W

Re: South Island November 2024

Post by Andy W » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:26 am

ian1104 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:21 am
Hi all,

I will be visiting Auckland from North Wales for a wedding in November 2024. Our plan is to then fly from Auckland to South Island and travel for 3 weeks,. My itinerary is pretty flexible!

I have a few things that I'm hoping you can help with :

1. Recommended South Island guides. Locations can be quite flexible as we'll be touring different areas of South Island.
Have a look here: https://www.fishingguides.co.nz/fly-fishing