vehicle purchase for NZ trip

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
John Revolver

vehicle purchase for NZ trip

Post by John Revolver » Mon May 27, 2019 9:28 am

I Just arrived in auckland and will be here for 1 year. Looking at vehicle options how important would a 4x4 be for NZ back roads?

fraser hocks

Re: vehicle purchase for NZ trip

Post by fraser hocks » Mon May 27, 2019 12:30 pm

Wouldn't bother with a 4x4 to be honest.

Lovely if you have cash to burn, but a subaru or any other constant 4 wheel drive vehicle will do. There aren't that many places that you really need a true 4x4 to access areas. However a lot of roads are gravel so the constant 4wd is a wise option as well as after its rained you don't get stuck in a grass paddock etc...

Fuel is expensive so a big heavy 4wd isn't a cheap beast to run. I can afford a nice new large 4wd but choose to drive a Subaru Outback and it gets me in and out of 99% of the places I want to go with ease.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

John Revolver

Post by John Revolver » Mon May 27, 2019 3:20 pm

Ah thats perfect to know thanks very much! Currently in Auckland right now test driving a bunch of camper vans (toyota estimas , liteaces) and debating wether on not to go with a 4wd option or not.

I'll be basing myself out of Taupo/Turangi for the next 6mos or so and want to be sure I invest in the right vehicle.

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Mon May 27, 2019 5:30 pm

I’ve got a Subaru Forrester and it suits me just fine for 99% of the places I go..

John Revolver

Post by John Revolver » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:05 pm

I went with a 1993 4x4 toyota townace selfcontained camper van with some extra ground clearance. Its been an absolute dream so far and I just recently put some new tires on it from bridgestone Taupo.

Gald I went with the 4wd as there have already been a few camping and fishing spots I would of been stuck in with 2WD.

Been Troutbumming around the Taupo/Turangi region for about 2 months now at its been amazing so far....will spend the rest of winter/early spring here and then Ill make my way to the south Island for focus on the brown trout fishery.....Not sure where to base myself yet in the south.