backpacking for trout near queenstown?

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
Jordan19967

backpacking for trout near queenstown?

Post by Jordan19967 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:59 pm

Hello all, I am a student from texas, and i am travelling to queenstown from march 10-16th. I was wondering if anyone had some local spots within 4 hours of queenstown that would be good backpacking with a tent for trout? I can not afford a guide to go fishing so I need local help and intel to catch fish. If anyone wants to come along with me for a good backpacking tent camping trip for some trout y'all are more than welcome!

Thanks, Jordan

Lindeanfisher

Re: backpacking for trout near queenstown?

Post by Lindeanfisher » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:51 am

Jordan
PM sent

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:54 pm

Go and purchase a book called South Island Fishing Guide by a guy called John Kent, it's a good basic start for overseas anglers, relatively comprehensive and accurate plus has access details. I doubt many anglers will share their favourite back country spots, it's like asking out your mates sister...!

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:40 pm

Just look on the map, find a river. Walk In and find out. The more remote the river, generally the less pressured the fish will be and therefore the better the fishing.

I'm on the North Island at the moment on holidays and I'm shocked that I've not to bump into another angler yet here. Outstanding fishing, with no one around.

No matter how deep you think you are In the back country on the South Island trust me it won't be long before a chopper drops people in front of you, or you discover you have been fishing behind someone all day. :roll:

Oh sorry Andrew, I did come through Wellington but didn't have spare time to catch up. Next time hey?

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:47 am

Hey mate, good to hear from you, hope your on the mend! Yep, seeing other anglers here is rare! Love it... just touched on that in the upcoming F&G mag. Hope you snared a few, has been a sensational season, one of the better ones in the last 10 years or so that's for sure, such glorious weather!

Jordan19967

Post by Jordan19967 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:35 pm

Okay thanks for the advice guys. I'll pull out Google maps And start searching I guess and hopefully I'll get lucky

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:59 pm

flyfish wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:47 am
Hey mate, good to hear from you, hope your on the mend! Yep, seeing other anglers here is rare! Love it... just touched on that in the upcoming F&G mag. Hope you snared a few, has been a sensational season, one of the better ones in the last 10 years or so that's for sure, such glorious weather!
Cheers bro. Let me know if you get back down my way soon hey? Yep I seem to have come good in the last few weeks. Docs warned me that it's easy to go backwards if I push it to hard at this early stage so no back country missions for me. Dowww

Looking forward to April. Got a great club trip I organize as well as the Casting for Recovery weekend.

Me and the wife loved the central NI so much! Will try to get back soon to fish around Taurngi. Maybe a winter trip?

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!