New to Trout Fishing

The fabled waters...info and reports here
katana007

New to Trout Fishing

Post by katana007 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:07 am

Please anyone HELP I have been trying to fish for trout near Auckland not having much luck have spent a few hundred on equipment but still learning , Any advise on Where to fish near Auckland with a reasonable trout population would be great ,just want to catch more than 2/3 500 gram fish in 8 hours of hard fishing and long walks. I usualy fish alone but would love to take my son fishing as well , He just doesn't like casting all day and not catching a single fish so said this is a waist of time and doesn't enjoy it ???? Please any advicewould be great please share some secret spots promise not to tell
Thanks again
Regards Gavin

Steve
Site Admin

Re: New to Trout Fishing

Post by Steve » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:57 pm

Hi Gavin,

I don't know your area at all, but appreciate your situation, hopefully someone local can help you, but look to the feeder streams to the Waikato River, I understand some of them can be good

Maniototoflyfisher

Re: New to Trout Fishing

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:50 pm

Hi Gavin - I don't know your area either - however, to try to help, can you answer a couple of questions for me please.
Are you flyfishing or spinning? If you are flyfishing and can cast a reasonable line then carry on - what types of water are you fishing? If you struggling to fly cast then either you need to sort that ( find some tuition ) or try spinning - spinning is easier (where legal) to catch a trout, especially where small fish are a common food item. Once you have caught a few trout spinning and are "hooked" then go back to flyfishing, especially if you think the fish are focusing on insects.
David