Tauranga Taupo questions

The fabled waters...info and reports here
Kym

Re: Tauranga Taupo questions

Post by Kym » Thu May 11, 2017 9:49 pm

upstream wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 9:17 am
You'll love Turangi Kym. You can walk into the bakery with your waders on and nobody will look twice. It's a real fishy town. And the Tongariro is perfect for swinging. The TT is more of a nymphing stream - it isn't very big.
Sounds like my kind of town! Now to book the flights :D

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Fri May 12, 2017 8:26 am

And not only the bakery. The supermarket has a permanent warning sign at the door warning of water on the floor from dripping waders, and the bottle store staff don't bat an eyelid either...

About the only place they are not acceptable is the RSA.

T_T

Post by T_T » Fri May 12, 2017 9:24 am

While the TT is definitely not switch rod territory there are plenty of zones that are just perfect for some five or six weight single handed spey stuff on the way back down. It can fish quite hard on the nymph some days but you'll find the fish with a well swung beadhead bugger.

Kym

Post by Kym » Sun May 14, 2017 8:41 pm

Thanks Wacka.
Flights are now booked! Switch rod dusted off and taken out for a cast this afternoon.
Thnaks for all the help! Better remember to check the waders for leaks :lol:
Kym

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon May 15, 2017 9:19 am

Have to say im a very happy boy these days. My wife has not just started fishing, she loves it!

We were fishing the back country on the weekend and we were talking about steelhead. I was saying how that the winter run in the Tongariro is almost a steelhead run. So she asked me why iv only ever been once? Looks like we are now scheming a trip to the NI this winter? Cant wait!!!

Creel Lodge looks spot on hey??? Thanks for the tip Wacka ;)

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Eric_the_king

Post by Eric_the_king » Mon May 15, 2017 10:42 am

My wife has started fishing recently as well and is really getting into it. She even bought me a new set G3 waders the other day!! lucky boy or what?? She's fished the tongariro a couple of times now and has hooked into a few wet lining. Needs some experience playing the fish though. Thinking about booking her some casting lessons as i'm self taught and probably teaching her all sorts of bad habits.

I've fished the tongariro through most of the summer as well as the lest few months this year. There really have been some fantastic fish in the river this year. Gearing up for a good winter i hope

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Wed May 17, 2017 7:52 am

Andy W wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 8:26 am
And not only the bakery. The supermarket has a permanent warning sign at the door warning of water on the floor from dripping waders, and the bottle store staff don't bat an eyelid either...

About the only place they are not acceptable is the RSA.
Supporting evidence: Tourists in waders

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Wed May 17, 2017 9:30 am

I think im in love with the place already!!

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Eric_the_king

Post by Eric_the_king » Wed May 31, 2017 5:13 pm

Looks like you've picked a good year Kym. Fished the Tongariro solidly for 3 days recently. Plenty of action and plenty a fat silver rainbows in the system. Way more than at this stage last year. Should hopefully only get better over the next couple of months.

Sorry the pics are not the best. Had issues uploading. Kept saying the images were too large.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kym

Post by Kym » Wed May 31, 2017 7:56 pm

Hey Charlie, those pics don't look too large to me, they look just right :-)
Can't wait to head on over. Waders are now patched and room booked at the Creel.
I'll pm you for some tips.
Kym