Best set up for Taupo - Tongariro

The fabled waters...info and reports here
RTJC

Best set up for Taupo - Tongariro

Post by RTJC » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:26 pm

Hi,

I recently had an afternoon fishing the Waitahanui - saw two, both spooked, the others must have been under the blackberry - I was using the good old truck and trailer rig. I assume this is the most popular rig?
I don't fish the Taupo area much but am more and more keen to spend more time there as my local waters don't provide much of a fix.
I know that split shot can now be used and was wondering if anyone just uses one fly now with split shot above it? This is quite appealing to me as I have never had that much luck catching fish with the bomb. I also read recently about using droppers with the heavy nymph below and a smaller fly off say a micro ring. I have never seen anyone using this setup but then I don't go around looking closely at other fishers flies as the speed through the air.

What is everyone's favoured setup for this area including the Tongariro?

Whio

Re: Best set up for Taupo - Tongariro

Post by Whio » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:38 pm

Truck n trailer is by far the most popular method used. I find a well weighted GB Hare n Copper as the bomb often snags a fish. Dropper method works ok to.
Single fly (something like a globug) with split shot is popular on rivers such as Hinemia where there are lots of snags and there is a high chance of loosing flies. Basically try whatever you want 'til you find what works for you. If one thing isn't working on a particular piece of water then change your set-up. Experiment!!

Some of my life I spend fly fishing, the rest I just waste!

kotuku71

Post by kotuku71 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:47 pm

As whio says, what works for you. I've used every combination under the sun over the years. Never use truck and trailer now; far fewer snags....including in me! Only one fly to tie on a broken rig. I use a removeable split shot , size depending on water being fished. I tie a dropper for the flie with the split shot on the very bottom, held in place by bunch of granny knots at the very end of the leader. When this snags it usually pulls the shot off and the whole rig comes back. 8 pound maxima or 6 if fishing light.

upstream

Post by upstream » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:26 am

Great idea with the splitshot at the point kotuku. The only issue with droppers is preventing tangles. What knots do you use for the droppers?

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:54 pm

Hey upstream...
Funny there's been a discussion running on what knot for droppers in the uk forum, most popular by far is the figure of 8 knot, which is also real easy. One of the regulars had also done a number of tests of different knots and it came out strongest-
http://dryflyexpert.blogspot.co.uk/2013 ... -knot.html
Real easy in poor light, I tend to use forceps / haemostats- once the loop is made, put the haemostats through the loop, two turns and then you can grab the tag ends with the haemostats and pull through the loop... I love easy and strong knots :D

kotuku71

Post by kotuku71 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:01 pm

I use a surgeons knot at the dropper and the up-leader end (ie the bit from the terminus) to tie the flie. Keep the dropper short. about 12 cm. reduces tangles. The dropper knot is about 25 cm above the shot. A good way of making the end bunch (the "mess) to hold the shot is to first tie a figure of eight knot, pull it very tight, then cut of the loop. The shot now has the tag end and the line itself above "the mess" to grip.Do this before joining the two to make the dropper so the length is more easily judged.

A good system Ive seen used up there is to first tie in a very small swivel to the end of the leader. Now, take another piece, say 35 cm and tie in a "end mess' as described above. Put the other end through the other end of the swivel and pull through and tie in, leaving about 5cm of tag with the "mess" at the end. Again, the shot now has both the dropper piece and the tag to grip. The dropper end, which is now below the swivel and the shot wants to be about 20 cm. This system never tangles but is more time consuming.

Apologies if this is all a bit much to take in!
Flies? One guy up there simply ties in a piece of glow bug yarm through the blood knot to the hook and does very well!!

kotuku71

Post by kotuku71 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:33 pm

Thanks Boisker, shall try that. Been trying out the Davey knot tying on flies...another really simple knot. What say they over your parts?

Whio

Post by Whio » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:35 pm

Funny there's been a discussion running on what knot for droppers in the uk forum, most popular by far is the figure of 8 knot
Hey Matt - thanks for this one. I've been having issues with dropper knots snapping at critical moments. Tried practising this one in front of the PC tonight and looks like it might just be the answer. :D Cheers

Some of my life I spend fly fishing, the rest I just waste!

RTJC

Post by RTJC » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:46 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Just what I was after. Now, as you say, time to experiment.

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:51 pm

Sorry, I haven't tried the Davy knot I have tended to use the grinner knot (also known as Uni Knot) or occasionally the improved clinch.

I came across this from Peter Hayes a couple of weeks ago, Quick Penny knot-

http://www.peterhayesflyfishing.com/page19715137.aspx

I've used it the last 3 or 4 sessions with no problems and Hayes reckons it really retains knot strength, with the tippet breaking rather than the knot. I'm gonna stick with it now as it's really easy and you can do it in very low light levels, no doubt in the dark if required.... and once again you can use haemostats.. you can probably notice a trend, clumsy fingers means haemostat knots are always a winner for me :D

(grinner / Uni knot: http://dryflyexpert.blogspot.co.uk/2013 ... ly-on.html )